• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Mortising jig for router table

So I don't know if this really qualifies as a "finished project." It is a jig that will hopefully allow me to finish another project (and other, future projects as well).

I've been noodling this around for a while and I think I finally have a pretty universally usable mortising jig.

To use it, I slip it over the router table fence (which serves double duty as the table saw fence). I remove any play using the two thumb screws on the back (these push a piece of 3/8" BB against the aluminum fence). I lock these thumbscrews in position using the wing-nuts.

Next, I set the distance between the fence and the bit using a brass setup bar. I then squeeze one of the pieces I'll be mortising between the two alignment blocks (on front) and tighten the knobs. Now I can use the two round stops that sit on top of the fence to adjust the side to side motion (again using the brass setup bar).

Now I'm ready. I do the end-grain of the top and bottom of the frame by sliding them down into the bit and moving the jig back and forth. I then do the long grain of the two side pieces by alternately removing the two alignment blocks. I remove the right block and then do the appropriate mortises using the left block to maintain position and length. I then replace the right block and remove the left one and finish the last two mortises.

To remove and replace the alignment blocks without screwing-up the positioning I simply use a piece of the rail material as a gauge between the tight alignment block and the lose one.

When I'm done I simply machine up a floating tenon to fit the mortise and glue it up.

I know my explanation isn't as good as Niki's would be. But the jig works pretty slick. Perfect mortises every time.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cgallery; 08-19-2007, 05:11 PM.
  • siliconbauhaus
    • Dec 2006
    • hagerstown, md

nice work mate...I love jigs
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed

Comment

• John Hunter
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
      • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
      John Hunter

Comment

• sparkeyjames
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Redford MI.
        • Craftsman 21829

Hmmm A Festool Domino Joiner without the high pricetag. Very Nice.

Comment

• big tim
          • Mar 2006
          • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
          • SawStop PCS

Darn nice and it obviously works!

Tim
          Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• mater
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • SC, USA.

That is a neat jig. Very nice.
            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Very nice. Very completely done. You should be proud of that design.

I guess that thumbscrew arrangement is meant to keep the jig right at snug, not loose, not tight. Is that right?

JR
              JR

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                • BT3100

WOW, this jig really looks simple and extremely usefull. i have been looking for a jig that i could copy to make mortises, and i beleive that i have found it. if you could, is it possible for you to give me more details, dimensions and hardware used to put this jig togather, extra pics, etc, enough information for me to duplicate this jig? i think all this information would be REALLY cool to put in the tutorial section of this site, however, if you want you can just email me a bunch of pictures really close up for details and i can try to recreate it.

some questions: how is the hardware at the back of the jig put togather to apply pressure on the 3/8" bb ply? the knobs on top, did you make them out of wood and do they screw into the square washers that came with the bt3 fence? did you use the furniture screws with the hex key to attach a piece of ply to the front side of the bt3 fence?

lastly, i didnt understand the part about when you said: "To remove and replace the alignment blocks without screwing-up the positioning ....... and the lose one."

i hope i didnt ask too many questions . thanks in advance for the help and the post!

regards,

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Originally posted by JR
                  Very nice. Very completely done. You should be proud of that design.

I guess that thumbscrew arrangement is meant to keep the jig right at snug, not loose, not tight. Is that right?

JR
                  Exactly. Mostly to take the play out of the jig. But the side benefit is I can lock it down if I find another use for it, too.

Comment

• cgallery
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Milwaukee, WI
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                    WOW, this jig really looks simple and extremely usefull. i have been looking for a jig that i could copy to make mortises, and i beleive that i have found it. if you could, is it possible for you to give me more details, dimensions and hardware used to put this jig togather, extra pics, etc, enough information for me to duplicate this jig? i think all this information would be REALLY cool to put in the tutorial section of this site, however, if you want you can just email me a bunch of pictures really close up for details and i can try to recreate it.

some questions: how is the hardware at the back of the jig put togather to apply pressure on the 3/8" bb ply? the knobs on top, did you make them out of wood and do they screw into the square washers that came with the bt3 fence? did you use the furniture screws with the hex key to attach a piece of ply to the front side of the bt3 fence?

lastly, i didnt understand the part about when you said: "To remove and replace the alignment blocks without screwing-up the positioning ....... and the lose one."

i hope i didnt ask too many questions . thanks in advance for the help and the post!

regards,
                    No, not too many questions. I'll put something together for you tomorrow. Not plans (cause I suck at plans), but I'll make a mini movie for you that describes the construction and gives some dimensions and more notes on the use. Nothing fancy, just a two minute or so movie clip.

Comment

• gad5264
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2005
                      • Columbus, Ohio, USA
                      • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet looking jig, I can see this one getting pilfered...I mean copied in the future.
                      Grant
                      "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• ragswl4
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Winchester, Ca
                        • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by cgallery
                        No, not too many questions. I'll put something together for you tomorrow. Not plans (cause I suck at plans), but I'll make a mini movie for you that describes the construction and gives some dimensions and more notes on the use. Nothing fancy, just a two minute or so movie clip.

That's a great jig. Will you post the movie here or....?? I can see multiple uses for that jig. Thanks for sharing. I think I would rather make a jig than a real project, its usually an adventure.
                        RAGS
                        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                        sigpic

Comment

• RodKirby
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

VERY impressive - nice work!
                          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

Slick! Gonna have to add that to the To Do List!
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Liberty, SC, USA.
                              • Ridgid TS3650

Really nice. thanks.

Comment

Working...