• Show
Clear All
  • Handy Al
    Established Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Worthington, OH, USA.
    • BT3100

New Yankee Workshop - Garage Workshop

Has anyone purchased this video and drawing set? It looks like what I want to do in my garage, but I was wondering if if was worth the $40+.

Thanks as always.
    "I'm growing older but not up." Jimmy Buffett
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

I guess my follow-up question to that would be; Is the video you buy the same as the show that was aired on TV? Or are they long and more detailed than the show?

I have most NYW's on TIVO.

Bill
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• Handy Al
      Established Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Worthington, OH, USA.
      • BT3100

Unfortunately, I don't know. I haven't seen the episode on TV.

I am considering ungrade my cable to get DIY and an a DVR.
      "I'm growing older but not up." Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• bmyers
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2003
        • Fishkill, NY
        • bt 3100

Thats great. NYW is on HGTV and PBS. Tivo is the only way to go. I have no idea what's new from RonCo, what blockbuster movies just came out, or what the latest rate from Dytek is, etc. I skip every commercial. It's awesome..

Bill

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

I sprung for the whole enchilada. The video's the same as the show, IIRC. Not much extra there, just the ability to go back and review little things you may need extra time to fully undrstand.

The drawings are good, with a good cut plan. And they give a good list of hardware from Rockler.

I'll post more later. LOML wants to go in the spa!

JR
          JR

Comment

• bmyers
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2003
            • Fishkill, NY
            • bt 3100

Okay, thanks for the info on the video. I bought the plans for the garage workshop and I recorded the video myself. I was going to build the miter saw station that was in there but I found another that I liked more. Otherwise it's basically cabinets with shelves and a flip-up router workstation, without fence.

What did you think JR? Did you build it all?

Bill

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Hmmm, flip-up router workstation? I don't remember that being in the plans. Yours must different than mine, Bill.

Here are a couple of pics:

I built the whole thing - bench with flip-up table, cabinets with shelves between, and rolling miter cabinet. There's no magic in these plans. If you've seen Norm do dado construction of plywood carcasses, you've pretty much seen this project. Say it with me now, "And we'll just put in a few brads to hold it together while the glue dries."

It was my first project with the BT3K, and the fact that I was able to do the thing is a testament to the quality of the plans. The hardware is good, particularly the heavy-duty slides used in the lower cabinets. The ones used in the four drawers of the bench are not quite as nice - the plastic latch mechanism is a bit cheesy. I learned to use a forstner bit to make the cup for th blum hinges, which was a good skill to learn.

The miter station is a good plan, if lacking imagination. The cabinet is very large, proving loads of space below and a huge drawer on one side. The miter platform is built at a high altitude, facilitating the need to bend over and look closely at the cut. The wings are only ok, lacking a fence, but with nice folding brackets. The lower work suface is handy, but is just a bit too narrow for a planer. The whole thing rolls around easily, even with lots of stuff stored inside - it did threaten to take off down the driveway yesterday as I was trying to make room for a painting project!

The flip-up table is a good design. It provides a poor-man's assembly table when you need it, and gets out of the way when you don't.

HTH.

JR
              JR

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

JR the flip up table is the flip up router station. In the tv episode Norm installs a router plate in the center of it.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• bmyers
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2003
                  • Fishkill, NY
                  • bt 3100

I think it's in that flip up table Nahm makes a hole for a router to mount in. Pretty basic and "lacking imagination" as you say. You're review of the miter station is similar to what I thought. I wasn't impressed with the planer stage on the back of the MS either. Looks like a dumb place for you planer if you ask me. Right behind yous CMS it's going to get caked with sawdust I thought. Thats why I built a different one instead of the NYW-GWS. Plus that one of Norms was at least 2 sheets of ply and a backing. The one I choose came from 1 sheet (plus backing).

Looks like a nice shop there JR. If I thought I'd be here in AZ any length of time I'd probably build the rest of the GWS. Gonna hold off for now..

Bill

Comment

• RayintheUK
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

The flip=up tables might be pretty basic and lack imagination, but they're very handy when space is at a premium. I made my first one to flap down in front of a fixed workbench, then was restricted in the length of stock I could mill by the dividing walls, so I moved it to the garage side wall - problem solved. I was pleased enough with it to do a second one.

Ray.
                    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• JR
                      The Full Monte
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Eugene, OR
                      • BT3000

quote:Originally posted by RayintheUK

The flip=up tables might be pretty basic and lack imagination, but they're very handy when space is at a premium.
                      Ray, I may not have explained myself well. I do think the flip-up table is an excellent idea, particularly, as you say, when used in a limited space.

It's the miter cabinet I thought could use some work. For instance, the miter platform could easily be designed for modularity, allowing the use of other tools there. A recent plan in Shop Notes magazine did just that, very effectively. The design also fails to incorporate fences on the wings, which would be very useful.

The lower shelf is not a permanent home for my planer, but is a nice place for my vice and grinder in everyday use, or other tools when needed.

In all Norm's goal, to design a versatile homeowner's bench system for a one-car garage, was admirably met. If I move, I'll probably take the whole thing with me. The bench breaks down into three module, plus table top. And the miter station rolls away.

HTH

JR

JR

Comment

• bmyers
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2003
                        • Fishkill, NY
                        • bt 3100

Nice shop Ray! Pretty sweet little setup there. And you can't even see the TV or beer tap from the driveway, very clever. Someday I'll be that organized, but alas not today.
                        What do you guys do for a fence on the flip-up router station?

Bill

Comment

• RayintheUK
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

quote:Originally posted by bmyers

What do you guys do for a fence on the flip-up router station?
                          Bill
                          Bill,

I made a fence from good quality 3/4" ply. In the drawing of it below (click once on it to enlarge), "A" is the front view, showing the adjustable cheeks (recessed carriage screws) and the extraction hole. "B" is the top view, showing the bracing. "C" shows the side elevation of the "rectangular to circular duct converter" that I modified to use to extract from above (4" pipe). "D" shows a side elevation of the bracing.

The whole thing is simply clamped to the flip-up table using a couple of those one-handed clamps (same mechanism as a mastic gun). To set up, I use a straight-edge across the face if it's a bearing-guided cutter, otherwise a depth gauge. Crank down on the clamps and away you go. Most of the extraction is done from underneath, via the router's own dust collection system, but the top extract is good for some bits.

HTH

Ray.
                          Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

Working...