• Show
Clear All
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

crosscut sled

here is the latest CC sled built for one of my 10" emerson built saws:

it is modelled after the CC sled created by "niki" with photos and instructions here:

the sled is 42" wide and 29" deep, with the distance between the fences being 26". i did this so i could cross cut and sqaure up panels for base cabinets. the runners are 18" incra sliders. following niki's instructions made for a failrly straightforward assembly. i added a removable blade guard and incorporated a moveable stop into the saw's fixed outfeed table that restricts the forward progress of the sled so it doesn't punch through the blade guard.

i used the 5 cut test for fence squareness using a 22" square sheet of 1/2" plywood a' la the woodwhisperer. it's off by 1/128" after the cuts, so i'm very pleased with the results of the fence alignment procedure included in niki's thread, which i adhered to closely.

in addition to the steps noted in niki's thread, i widened the sled base by adding the portion under the small fence using biscuits. i then used my ryobi 16/32 druim sander to smooth the surface. it was my first opportunity to use the DS on a panel wider than 16" and it worked out quite well. i'm thinking about a handle for pushing the sled through the cut and then retracting it...maybe next weekend.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Nice sled. What did you use for the fences? The material looks really thick. Is it a couple pieces of baltic birtch laminated?
    Erik

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

2 pieces of 3/4" plywood from the BORG (not BB) laminated for both the front and rear fences.
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• thrytis
        • May 2004
        • Concord, NC, USA.
        • Delta Unisaw

Looks good. You'll get a lot of use out of it!
        Eric

Comment

Working...