• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by tfischer
    I may be blind but where is the "new posts" link on the new site?
    I found it, turned it on, and it doesn't work. There is a year old bug report for this that hasn't been worked on by vBulletin and hasn't been assigned to their development team. There is a note about a workaround with an extension that may solve the issue. I'll look into it this weekend and see if I can get it to work.
    Chr's

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol
      I found it, turned it on, and it doesn't work. There is a year old bug report for this that hasn't been worked on by vBulletin and hasn't been assigned to their development team. There is a note about a workaround with an extension that may solve the issue. I'll look into it this weekend and see if I can get it to work.
      Weird... that's a pretty basic feature for them to be slacking off about.

Thanks for looking in to it.

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002

Many thanks to all who participated in the testing of the development site and for the feedback received. We have some issues to work out, mostly minor but a couple that will require some additional work.
        1. There is no standard "new posts" option that works. The third party extension that was mentioned also doesn't work. I should be able to create a custom search and add it as a menu item but I need to learn more about the search engine JSON that is used.
        2. Some article links have gone wonky. Since there are only a few hundred of these, they can be manually corrected after the upgrade.
        3. A few lingering style issues. White text on a white background isn't particulary readable
        Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002

A quick update on the upgrade

Originally posted by twistsol
          Many thanks to all who participated in the testing of the development site and for the feedback received. We have some issues to work out, mostly minor but a couple that will require some additional work.
          1. There is no standard "new posts" option that works. The third party extension that was mentioned also doesn't work. I should be able to create a custom search and add it as a menu item but I need to learn more about the search engine JSON that is used.
          2. Some article links have gone wonky. Since there are only a few hundred of these, they can be manually corrected after the upgrade.
          3. A few lingering style issues. White text on a white background isn't particulary readable
          A quick update.

I sort of got the new posts functionality working after finding a post about a workaround and creating a new page with a custom search. The results are correct, but I need to do some coding to present them in an orderly fashion.

The style issues are all corrected, or at least all of them that I've found.
          Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

An Update on the site upgrade

After testing we ran into two major hurdles.
            1. The vbImageHost galleries that we converted in the previous upgrade didn't display the full image when clicked. This has been resolved with a lot of coding.
            2. The New Posts functionality is working in that it identifies the correct posts to display, but the display needs to be cleaned up.

A couple of minor issues as well.
            1. Nobody sees this but moderators. We used to have an extension that had quick links to everything requiring moderation that showed on the home page when moderators logged in. Now it is a separate menu item that they have to manually check.
            2. There is no functionality for top poster. Not a huge issue, but this has been a badge of honor here for years and will require a custom mod to resolve.

There is still work to do to get to the goal, but it is progressing, albeit slowly.
            Chr's

Comment

Working...