• Show
Clear All
  • All Thumbs
    Established Member
    • Oct 2009
    • Penn Hills, PA
    • BT3K/Saw-Stop

So why is the new server so fast?

I wonder, why is it when the site switched from an expensive hosting company to a less expensive hosting company did the page loads get sooooo much faster? It seems like the opposite would have occured?
  • TCOTTLE
    Established Member
    • May 2009
    • Greenbush Maine
    • Ryobi BT3000

Just because something is more expensive, does not always mean it is better

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

There is a pretty big array of reasons. But the simplest explanation is that we switched from a Windows installation with a GUI, and a lot of additional overhead, to a fairly stripped down and lean Linux installation... I tried to set it up to be fast and reliable, while keeping within strict budget limits... Windows licenses are NOT cheap... The version of Linux we chose is free licensed...

I will keep tabs on it, and make what adjustments we can as the load grows...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

THAT's two good reasons to

switch to Linux. Free being great, but it is open too. You've done a great job Dave.

Comment

• TCOTTLE
          Established Member
          • May 2009
          • Greenbush Maine
          • Ryobi BT3000

Command line lean
          Originally posted by dbhost
          There is a pretty big array of reasons. But the simplest explanation is that we switched from a Windows installation with a GUI, and a lot of additional overhead, to a fairly stripped down and lean Linux installation... I tried to set it up to be fast and reliable, while keeping within strict budget limits... Windows licenses are NOT cheap... The version of Linux we chose is free licensed...

I will keep tabs on it, and make what adjustments we can as the load grows...

Comment

• Dal300
            Banned
            • Aug 2011
            • East Central Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I love my Linux servers! I lease 8 of them and have learned to really detest the last Windows server I have.

I use Win 7 dual boot with Linux Ubuntu at home as a dual boot system. One tower has been up for ..... 2 years 39 days (769 days), no restarts at all. It runs my home network and doubles as a multiple print server for our office.

Ubuntu for many users is a learning curve, but not to steep if you are a general user.... Y'all should try it. You can even run it from a CD or a thumb drive and it's still faster than any Windows installation.

Now If I could wean the wife away from Vista and Win 7!

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Hey guys, I in NO WAY want to take all the credit here. TCottle busted his butt helping me get this done, Black Wallnut, Stytooner, Twistsol, etc... all had a hand, and no small part in all the work in the background that made this happen. And remember, we wouldn't even have had the opportunity to have this community in the first place if it wasn't for the work Sam has been doing for us for years. I am humbled by the honor of being able to put my skills to work for this particular community.

I'm sure I missed somebody here, but that is because I am paying attention to servers that pay while I type this...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• RAFlorida
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2008
                • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                • Ryobi BT3000

There's a lot of us members

saying 'thank you' ALL for doing a great job. We just had to congratulate you first Dave because you was the one out front with your hands getting dirty with passing the info to us all. We didn't forget the rest of the crew; they did a knock down and get it up job too; we were just late in the congrats to them. I hope I made sense in this post, it is late for me...

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

No worries. It's all good. This whole thing has been a great project, and I am happy to be doing it...

Comment

• Rand
                    Established Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Vancouver, WA, USA.

Great job you guys! It's appreciated.
                    Rand
                    "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• TCOTTLE
                      Established Member
                      • May 2009
                      • Greenbush Maine
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Certainly a big shout out to all that are involved. The forums would be gone if we hadn't come together, from all over the US and beyond to keep this resource alive. I don't post much, but I real alot here, and I think it's a resource who's value will continue to increase as we start adding more features, and expanding our scope. Either way, without the support of all members and admins, this project would not have taken flight.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

Thanks for the kind words folks. The members who have purchased subscriptions have played a huge role in BT3Central going forward. More financial help is needed so please continue to contribute if able. DBHost and TCOTTLE have worked hard to corral the electrons and line them up so we see what we expect. Our CFO Chris has and is also working hard to keep us alive. I'm along for the ride and help where and how ever I can. I have full confidence that we will continue and grow and yet remain friendly as we are today. Fast page loads is just the beginning.
                        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...