• Show
Clear All
  • Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

Forum Software Upgraded

I have upgraded the forum software (vBulletin) to the latest version. I have also installed an anti-spam product to help curb the recent influx of spammers.
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

The moderated first post addition should be a big help. I was watching the "new member" names signing on, and after looking at an empty profile, it seemed just too obvious. It may be easier to catch them after signing on, but isn't there a way of locating them through their Email? It seems that so many with different names had similar posts.

The upgrade has improved the versatility of the "profiles". The expanded format is very complete. I like that format, and have seen it on other forums. Thanks!

Comment

• Sam Conder
      Woodworker Once More
      • Dec 2002
      • Midway, KY
      • Delta 36-725T2

Originally posted by cabinetman
      The moderated first post addition should be a big help. I was watching the "new member" names signing on, and after looking at an empty profile, it seemed just too obvious. It may be easier to catch them after signing on, but isn't there a way of locating them through their Email? It seems that so many with different names had similar posts.

The upgrade has improved the versatility of the "profiles". The expanded format is very complete. I like that format, and have seen it on other forums. Thanks!
      The new anti-spam product checks IP Address, e-mail domain, and other keys to detecting forum spammers.
      Sam Conder

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Thanks Sam. I hope you had a great vacation last week!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• just started
          • Mar 2008
          • suburban Philly

Thanks for all your work and for providing the forum Sam. Is there a way to require (make it a mandatory field) the city/state to be filled in by everyone in their profile? To me it seems to make things much easier, especially when we are talking about bargain alerts seen in a BORG or other chain store and classified ads. It could also possibly assist people in getting equipment repaired or maybe loaned for a special project. There have been a few times when I might have offered hands-on help or the loan of something if I knew the other member was in my area and not half way across the country (or world in Hanks case).

Comment

• Sam Conder
            Woodworker Once More
            • Dec 2002
            • Midway, KY
            • Delta 36-725T2

Originally posted by just started
            Thanks for all your work and for providing the forum Sam. Is there a way to require (make it a mandatory field) the city/state to be filled in by everyone in their profile? To me it seems to make things much easier, especially when we are talking about bargain alerts seen in a BORG or other chain store and classified ads. It could also possibly assist people in getting equipment repaired or maybe loaned for a special project. There have been a few times when I might have offered hands-on help or the loan of something if I knew the other member was in my area and not half way across the country (or world in Hanks case).
            I think it is best to leave that info optional. I believe people have the right to what ever level of privacy they desire in online communities.
            Sam Conder

Comment

• RAFlorida
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2008
              • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
              • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks Sam for ridding the forum of crap.

So far it looks to have stopped the low lifes that traffic in trash. I would click the name of new members and you could almost tell who was trash dumpers by the nickname, or their website. The new software is similar to that of a radio forum I joined a few years ago, and it appears to work great. Thanks for your diligence and hard work, we should be able to enjoy comments w/o trash showing up. Thanks a heap.

Comment

Working...