Clear All
  • Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

Recent database issues & general site sluggishness

Greetings,

For the past week or so BT3Central has experienced several instances of database errors, site unavailability and general site sluggishness. There are several factors contributing to these problems:
    • New OS level security patches have GREATLY reduced the amount of available disk space on the server's system partition.
    • Enhancements/advancements in the forum software has required updates & upgrades to system software (PHP & MySQL)
    • Newer software is more memory & processor intensive and our server is not as robust as what is common now. (1.7Ghz P4 with 512MB RAM)
    To address this problem I have begun negotions with the hosting service to procure a new server. We have been leasing this one for a few years and I think it's time to look for something more up to date. It looks like I am going to be able to move us to a new server that is significantly better (Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.3Ghz, 2GB RAM, 2x 160GB SATA drives in RAID 1 config) for essentially the same $$ we are paying now.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am working on getting BT3Central back to a more normal level of service.
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Sounds like a plan, Sam.

Comment

Working...