• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

After 30 minutes of trying to post photos for a new thread. I give up trying to make an informative thread. Could this bewhat happens to sawdust makers? Just give up and move on?

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      Heres the easy way. Click on the A icon on the upper right of your edit box. This will turn on advanced edit menu at the top of your edit box. With the edit cursor where you want the picture, click on the image icon, looks like landscape in a frame just right of center. That will pop up a dialog box to allow you to insert pics from your computer or from a URL. Very easy once you get the A edit bar. At the moment it seems to be restricting the JPG sizes to maybe 2-5 MB or smaller, not sure of the exact size. I find that roughly 2000 x 1500 or 1500 x 1200 sized JPG pictures work well here.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-05-2016, 11:55 PM.
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

My guess is those of you having issues posting pics are using too large of pictures. I use picresize.com to downsize mine, then upload those.

But I agree, if it's too much effort, people won't do it. Like I said above, there's already little interest in the way of feedback when many finished project threads are posted, so why take 30 minutes to post one just so 3 people can say "nice job"?

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Lchien, that is exactly the way I entered my photos! I'm not sure of the size as I use an iPad and apple doesn't think you need this kind of information. Half of my photos turned 90 degrees one way or the other when posted. These particular photos were taken in portrate position with the iPad and show up properly in it, but roll over when posted. I tried to edit the guilty photos after I found that out but can only rotate a photo 45 degrees. What good is that?
      While using this method to insert photos does work it seems to only allow 1 photo per say something box, thus requiring multiple boxes for a lengthy post, and a lot more time required.
      capncarl

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        There is a flag in the JPG file that tells how to orient the picture for display. By default the file orientation is with the camera horizontal. The catch is, that the camera must have a tiltmeter and register what it thinks the orientation was when the picture was snapped..
        Then, Some display applications read this and will auto rotate the picture. So you think its orientation is fine.Some displays like mobile phones are handheld and the app will rotate to fill the screen best assuming you will turn the camera. But laptops and desktops are't easily rotateable so they don't do that. THey rely on either the file having been permanently rotated to the right orientation or the flag telling them to rotate the display version.
        When you upload the picture, if the application receiving it is paying attention then it may rotate it to display or then again, it may not.
        Its a case where things have gotten too smart and apps are overcompensating.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-06-2016, 02:55 PM.
    • tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
      Half of my photos turned 90 degrees one way or the other when posted. These particular photos were taken in portrate position with the iPad and show up properly in it, but roll over when postedl
      The latest forum update (coming tonight I think?) is supposed to address that. I agree, it's annoying when that happens.

Comment

Working...