• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I'm having difficulty with the order of postings, basically I don't like it at all. The responses show up with the last (most recent post) for "today" being listed first, like inverse order of what they used to be with the first response being on top and those following it going down from there with the last post being last on the page.

This is confusing because "responses" to a particular post appear before (sometimes well before) the post that the response applies.

Is there a way the reader can display these as they once were?

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 06-11-2016, 10:40 AM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Black walnut

Black walnut
      commented
      Editing a comment
      You can use the comment box to reply to a specific post.
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

Originally posted by cwsmith
    I'm having difficulty with the order of postings, basically I don't like it at all. The responses show up with the last (most recent post) for "today" being listed first, like inverse order of what they used to be with the first response being on top and those following it going down from there with the last post being last on the page.

This is confusing because "responses" to a particular post appear before (sometimes well before) the post that the response applies.

Is there a way the reader can display these as they once were?

CWS
    I do not see where users can set this for their own preference but I can change it from the Admin CP. Here are the choices:
    Topic Display Mode
    Linear - Oldest First
    Linear - Newest First
    Hybrid
    Threaded
    As you can see you are currently set to Hybrid, possibly that is a carryover from how you set up the older version. The first option Linear-Oldest First was the old default and might be what you are asking for. Maybe twistsol will have a better explanation, he is far more up to speed on the current software version.
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Black walnut,

Thanks, it looks like the old setting would have been "oldest first". Perhaps the other members prefer the current setting ("newest first" ?), but I find it uncomfortable... much harder to find out where things are. Like your reply, I see Hank's initial posting with the two screen shots first and then your reply and then my post. Just looks confusing, at least compared to what it used to be.

Other thing that I wish was different was the "reply"... it used to be at the bottom of each post entry. Now you have to scroll to the very bottom, where it says "write something". So if one wants to respond to specifics in the post that they are replying to, you have to scroll back up to the top... and then back down to your message. If there are several things, you have to scroll up and down like a yo-yo.

I fully realize that "change" takes a bit of getting used to, but this particular update brings many more differences than I've seen before.

Thanks.

CWS

Comment

• Black walnut
        Administrator
        • Aug 2015
        • BT3K

See above. You can use the comment box in the middle of a topic however I would guess few will ever see a comment.

Comment

• Black walnut
          Administrator
          • Aug 2015
          • BT3K

cwsmith would you like me to change your default to linear-oldest? I can always change it back if you don't find it any better.

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Not sure why the old default didn't carry over. I must have had it set to show oldest first for my account so it looked normal to me. I would say set it back to the old default b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Chr's

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Black walnut and Twistol,

Changing it to "oldest first" would work for me... but can you do that individually? I certainly don't want to ruin it for everyone else. (Eventually my increasingly slower brain will adabt )

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

• Black walnut

Black walnut
                commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok I changed it for you. You might have to log out and then log back in to see the effect. Try just a page refresh first though.
            • cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Black Walnut,

Thank you so much!

Now things are working and looking in the order that they used to be. Makes much more sense to me and I really appreciate your work for this.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

Working...