• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Feedback on upgrade, May 2016

This is where you asked us to post feedback, so here is mine.

-> When I go to SDZ (staying logged in) why do I not see my threads or post, even though they are more recent than the ones that show up?

Under "New Topics" this is what I see on my screen. Nothing about the "Pine" thread or "Drum Sander" thread , which is more recent than "Miter Saw" and "Rip Fence". (See below for the next upload.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 9.01.44 AM.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	825361

THIS is the "New Topic" area. Again, no mention of my last two posts. The last posts to most of these below and above are older in time than those on the Pine and Drum Sander post of mine. It doesn't bother me per se, as I know where they are and can go to the specific forum that they are located. They are there.
    BUT, The Question IS: Why are not all most recent posts or threads showing up?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 9.02.10 AM.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	825362
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

I noticed the same as Hank. seem like it make just be a date setting. Also the following

1. state flag avatars were removed and while I could select one it would not let me save and use it. Image upload did work.
    2. Signatures seemed to be turned off by default
    3. Many folks had images in their signatures and these did not seem to come across
    4. PMs show a message on left side saying "Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page." Slightly different UI. was not obvious from inbox preview how to select message and reply but just figured that out.

Will keep checking
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Thanks Guys. I'm flying today and will look at these when I land and/or tomorrow after work.

Lee, the indexing after the upgrade is still going on, hopefully this will clear up the issues with the recent posts not showing when they should. If it is still an issue once that completes, I'll look into it.
      Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

OK, I think I have it figured out. IF you, or I in this case have viewed a thread since the last post, it is automatically marked as "read"; IN this case, a post will not show up in MY browser under "New Topic" or New Post. If someone replies to it, then to my browser - it will be seen as a new unread post and be there on the list.

This sounds like what is happening, and what happened on another forum. I don't like this feature, but it explains what is happening logically. NEW only features those that I, or you have not read. Highlighted titles in the old system were ones unread. UnHighligthed threads revealed "already read" topics/threads. THIS new system only shows the un-read ones, IMO. I could be wrong.
        Last edited by leehljp; 05-22-2016, 06:04 PM.
        Hank Lee

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I FOUND THE formula for the closest to the old forum operation. CLICK "Forum"> CLICK "Latest Activities". Somewhat similar to operation of previous version of the VBulletin.
          Last edited by leehljp; 05-22-2016, 10:52 PM.
          Hank Lee

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by leehljp

I FOUND THE formula for the closest to the old forum operation. CLICK "Forum"> CLICK "Latest Activities". Somewhat similar to operation of previous version of the VBulletin.
            Thank you Lee! This was very helpful. I've added a new menu item that functions the same as new posts, but also shows posts that have been read. Unread posts are in bold type, have a blue page icon next to them and also have a blue dot which will take you to the first unread post in that thread.

Post that have been read have a white page icon next to them and are in plain type.
            Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

It doesn't seem like SDZ remembered that I had previously logged in. I had to login again. I do connect from multiple devices but I'm pretty sure I already did from this one. I'll check again later today.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                It doesn't seem like SDZ remembered that I had previously logged in. I had to login again. I do connect from multiple devices but I'm pretty sure I already did from this one. I'll check again later today.
                I am logging in from one device but different browsers. On the previous VBulletin AND this new version, I have to log in with each one and click "Remember me". If I go more than a month or so and don't use one of the browsers, I have to re-log in then next time on that browser. For some odd reason, I have to do log in twice on occasion. On this new version of vBulletin, I had to log in twice and click "remember me" both times, the second time it took. On my other browser, it took the first time. I think this is an individual computer or browser anomaly.
                Hank Lee

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

I Like the RECENT POSTS addition! Just need to find the difference between "Recent Posts" and "Latest Activity". I am liking this more and more as I get used to it. One thing I have wanted was a "Like" button. This version has it! THANKS!
                  Hank Lee

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002

I think latest activity shows by thread creation date, not most recent update to a thread.
                    Chr's

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                      I Like the RECENT POSTS addition! Just need to find the difference between "Recent Posts" and "Latest Activity". I am liking this more and more as I get used to it. One thing I have wanted was a "Like" button. This version has it! THANKS!
                      Just noticed the 'Like' button. Have you found somewhere that shows you all the posts you 'Like' ?
                      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

Comment

• twistsol
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by poolhound

Just noticed the 'Like' button. Have you found somewhere that shows you all the posts you 'Like' ?
                        Not yet, I'll add it to the list.

I did manage to get the signature images to come back. The avatars are still giving me fits though
                        Chr's

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Buena Park, CA
                          • CM 21829

Thanks for taking on the upgrade - I like the "Recent Posts" version as well. New posts is too voluminous, appears to show each individual response to threads.
                          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• twistsol
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                            Be sure you check the "Remember Me" box when you log in. In the previous version it was checked by default, now it is unchecked by default. This is a setting that can't be changed to the best of my knowledge.
                            Chr's

Comment

• Black wallnut
                              cycling to health
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                              • BT3k 1999

Wow at least we have quick reply back. I am also finding that I don't stay logged in. I wonder if there is an inactivity time-out value that logs us off? I'll look later. If I can find the Admin CP....

The forum look and feel is different, not necessarily bad.

I did receive feedback from one long term member that he could not find the log-in button. I replied to his email with where to look.
                              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...