• Show
Clear All
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Spindle steady - rev.2 [ADDED PICS]

I made a steady based on some plans in a recent discussion here, and wasn't satisfied with my version of it. After my first attempt, I at least came away with a better idea of what I needed.

One thing that I realized is that horizontal wheel support bars tend to give good spindle support in the vertical direction, but I needed support on the back of the spindle. I came up with the following design, which seems to work pretty well so far.

I'm still adding to it -- specifically adding a clamping mechanism to easily hold both wheel supports together. And not shown is a piece that registers both parts to the lathe bed to keep the steady perpendicular.

But, even as is, it's waaaaay easier to set up. Instead of adjusting 4 separate nuts to apply pressure, I just adjust one clamp, then clamp the whole thing to the lathe bed. Also, you don't have to dismount your spindle to get it on and off.

I'm sure this is a re-invention of the wheel -- any pointers to this type of design would be greatly appreciated for ideas on tweaks.

Regards,
    Tom
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN

Here are some pics of the setup:

Disassembled Parts:

...and, put together:

I plan to incorporate a better clamping mechanism to replace the free-standing clamps. But, so far, so good.
    Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• kwgeorge
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Alvin, TX, USA.

That is very cool. I keep trying to find my kids old skate board but I think he is hiding it from me.

Comment

• Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Twin Cities, MN

quote:Originally posted by kwgeorge

I keep trying to find my kids old skate board but I think he is hiding it from me.
        My 11-year-old was pretty jealous when I came home with a pack of brand new wheels, which I proceeded to "ruin" by taking off 1" with the belt sander. [:0]

He's probably hidden his rollerblades by now, too.

Regards,
        Tom

Comment

• monte
          Forum Windbag
          • Dec 2002
          • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
          • GI 50-185M

Nice job Tom.
          Monte (another darksider)
          Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002