• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pa-Paw
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2005
    • Lake Dallas, Texas, USA.

Question for turners

I'm just beginning to make use of the lathe,so there is much that I don't know. I need to turn some parts that will have one rounded end. Do I need to purchase a three or four jawed chuck. The parts will be shapped simlar to this. Thanks.

• Tom Hintz
    • Feb 2004
    • Concord, NC, USA.

While a chuck would make it somewhat easier, you can do this between centers as well. do the major shaping and then turn the ends down to where you can part them off with a fine hand saw. You would have to sand the ends smooth but with a little practice you can turn something like this almot to completion before parting it off, leaving very little to sand.
    Tom Hintz
    NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• Pa-Paw
      Forum Newbie
      • May 2005

quote:Originally posted by Tom Hintz

While a chuck would make it somewhat easier, you can do this between centers as well. do the major shaping and then turn the ends down to where you can part them off with a fine hand saw. You would have to sand the ends smooth but with a little practice you can turn something like this almot to completion before parting it off, leaving very little to sand.
      Ok, say that a fellow wants to make a dozen of those. Would he be better off making them between centers, or with the chuck?

Comment

• Doug Jones
        Established Member
        • Oct 2004
        • Indiana
        • Delta 36-444

I'm not sure what you mean by better. As both methods would be good to doing the job that your asking about. It just depends on your budget, time, and skill level.
        Good luck.

Comment

• Pa-Paw
          Forum Newbie
          • May 2005

Thanks for the help. I'll first try it without a chuck.

Comment

• Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Just in case you really want a chuck, and your wife is reading over your shoulder:

Yes! You absolutely need a chuck for this. No doubt about it.

Otherwise, no. Not at all.

You could even mount to a face plate so that you could fully sand the "bulb" end (do this before turning the smaller diameter so it has good support). That's the approach I took when turning these finials:

Regards,
            Tom

Comment

• Tom Hintz
              • Feb 2004
              • Concord, NC, USA.

[/quote]
              Ok, say that a fellow wants to make a dozen of those. Would he be better off making them between centers, or with the chuck?
              [/quote]

With or without the chuck, it doesn't really matter. Getting them the same is easiest using a measure stick with the major points on it and then measuring as you go.
              I would probably do this between centers even though I have chucks. It's just easier for me to do something like this quickly with it hung between centers. Other folks will find it easier to do in a chuck.
              Of course, it would be easier for all of us to buy them!
              I know, I need to stand in the corner....
              Tom Hintz
              NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• Pa-Paw
                Forum Newbie
                • May 2005

"Just in case you really want a chuck, and your wife is reading over your shoulder: Yes! You absolutely need a chuck for this. No doubt about it."
                Ok, what's the deal? You some kind of mind reader? We'll to tell you the truth; I'm a sucker for "another tool". I have a 4" face plate, but these turnings will be fairly small. The round end will be less than 2 1/2" and the neck around 1 1/4". I've never used a chuck with the lathe, so I was just wondering about its use. It's not like I really need to spend another $50.00 or $60.00. At least that's what the wife tells me.

Comment

Working...