Spindle steady

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • 2507
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

    Spindle steady

    I didn't want to hijack Whaler's post about a walking stick, but it reminded me that I started such a project after I got my bed extension for my Jet mini. The project ended when I realized I couldn't go on without a spindle steady.

    I've seen them around for over $100, but thought I could make a good one with Rollerblade wheels.

    Has anyone here found one for more like $50? Has anyone here made one?

    Thanks,
    Tom
  • Jim Boyd
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • 1766
    • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

    #2
    I made one with the rollerblade wheels. I use it for bowls and vases. Works really well. I'll try to get some pics this weekend.
    Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member

    Comment

    • Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • 3281
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

      #3
      Tom

      That fits right in with my post on the walking stick.
      I will be bolting on my bed extension and will also need a spindle steady.

      Jim

      I am anxious to see the pictures.

      Dick

      http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

      Comment

      • Jim Boyd
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • 1766
        • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
        • Delta Unisaw

        #4
        Here are a couple of links to some better than mine.
        http://www.hdv.net/tips/Making%20a%20Steady%20Rest.htm
        http://www.detroitareawoodturners.org/steadyrest.pdf
        I based mine on the one in the second link.
        Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member

        Comment

        • Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • 2507
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

          #5
          quote:Originally posted by Jim Boyd

          Here are a couple of links to some better than mine.
          http://www.hdv.net/tips/Making%20a%20Steady%20Rest.htm
          http://www.detroitareawoodturners.org/steadyrest.pdf
          I based mine on the one in the second link.
          Yeah, that second one looks like the ticket. Did you use just the roller bearings like they did? I assumed I'd use the whole 3" skate wheel. Any reason not to?

          If I use the 3" diameter wheels I don't think I could fit four, but it seems 3 should be enough.

          Thanks for the links!

          Regards,
          Tom

          Comment

          • gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • 2233
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

            #6
            I seem to remember David Marks used one of his own design. Not sure if it is described somewhere.

            Gerd

            Comment

            • Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • 3862
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

              #7
              I have this one from HF, it's 20 bucks.
              http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4092

              ken

              Comment

              • Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • 2507
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

                #8
                quote:Originally posted by Ken Massingale

                I have this one from HF, it's 20 bucks.
                Hmmm, for the price of the roller blade wheels....

                But aren't the metal bearings directly on the wood a problem? I guess not, at least nothing you couldn't sand out. Would roller blade wheels offer any improvement?

                $20 is a good price just for the stand, though. And one could always add the roller blade wheels with a little re-engineering.

                Thanks for the link, Ken!

                Regards,
                Tom

                Comment

                • LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • 6693
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

                  #9
                  Tom, are you reading the "neat site" thread in this section? One of the pics on the site that is linked to there has a picture of a homemade center-steady, similar to the one David Marks has used on WoodWorks.

                  In the same picture is a Powermatic lathe that I'd LOVE to have in my shop. "If I had his lathe and he had a feath--" ... well, you know.
                  Larry

                  Comment

                  • Tom Miller
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • 2507
                    • Twin Cities, MN
                    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

                    #10
                    quote:Originally posted by LarryG

                    Tom, are you reading the "neat site" thread in this section? One of the pics on the site that is linked to there has a picture of a homemade center-steady, similar to the one David Marks has used on WoodWorks.

                    In the same picture is a Powermatic lathe that I'd LOVE to have in my shop. "If I had his lathe and he had a feath--" ... well, you know.
                    That steady is what caught my eye right away. (Oh, yeah, and the lathe. [8)]) I guess I should design for a dual use spindle AND bowl steady.


                    Regards,
                    Tom

                    Comment

                    • Jim Boyd
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 1766
                      • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                      • Delta Unisaw

                      #11
                      quote:Originally posted by Tom Miller

                      quote:Originally posted by Jim Boyd

                      Here are a couple of links to some better than mine.
                      http://www.hdv.net/tips/Making%20a%20Steady%20Rest.htm
                      http://www.detroitareawoodturners.org/steadyrest.pdf
                      I based mine on the one in the second link.
                      Yeah, that second one looks like the ticket. Did you use just the roller bearings like they did? I assumed I'd use the whole 3" skate wheel. Any reason not to?

                      If I use the 3" diameter wheels I don't think I could fit four, but it seems 3 should be enough.

                      Thanks for the links!

                      Regards,
                      Tom
                      My bad! It was the first one[]
                      Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member

                      Comment

                      • Tom Miller
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • 2507
                        • Twin Cities, MN
                        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

                        #12
                        quote:Originally posted by Jim Boyd

                        My bad! It was the first one[]
                        Whew, that was close! I almost started making it this year!

                        So, did you use the roller blade wheel or just the bearings? It seems like the 3" wheels would need to be turned down to 2" or less. Any comments on doing that?

                        Thanks,
                        Tom

                        Comment

                        • Jim Boyd
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • 1766
                          • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                          • Delta Unisaw

                          #13
                          quote:Originally posted by Tom Miller

                          quote:Originally posted by Jim Boyd

                          My bad! It was the first one[]
                          Whew, that was close! I almost started making it this year!

                          So, did you use the roller blade wheel or just the bearings? It seems like the 3" wheels would need to be turned down to 2" or less. Any comments on doing that?

                          Thanks,
                          Tom
                          I used the full wheel. The bolts are in slots so the wheels can be adjusted holizontally. This allows for fitting about any size bowl that I can get on my 12" HF lathe. I'll definately be out there in the morning and get a pic or two.
                          Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member

                          Comment

                          • Jim Boyd
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 1766
                            • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                            • Delta Unisaw

                            #14
                            A simple affair using oak and all-thread. I also use large washers for spacers under the bottom 2 wheel bar. This pic shows where I had a couple of mini mill clamps and washers.

                            This second pic shows the slots to adjust the wheels for different diameter bowls.

                            Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member

                            Comment

                            • Whaler
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • 3281
                              • Sequim, WA, USA.
                              • DW746

                              #15
                              Jim

                              Thanks for the pictures.
                              Dick

                              http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

                              Comment

                              Working...