• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hal4son
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Richardson, Texas, USA.

Drill Hole in Vase for glass insert??

I have tried several methods, none of which worked very well, to hollow out a vase in order to insert one of the glass tubes that allow it function as an actual flower vase. Does anyone have a "fool proof" method for this? I was trying to surprise my mother for "mothers day" but the drill bit came through the side - OK I made the sides too thin. But still haven't been able to get near enough depth to insert the glass tube, which range from 3" to 6". I've been thinking that I should drill first and then turn to shape. What does everyone think?
    2nd Amendment - without it, the others are just words written in the wind.
  • Jim Boyd
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

What size lathe do you have? Use the drill chuck from your drill press in the tailstock of the lathe. Haven't you ever wondered why the measuring tape is on the tailstock ram? Of course this won't work if you don't have a drill press or the morse tapers are different sizes[]
    Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

It depends a lot on what equipment you have (Jacobs chuck for your lathe? a chuck that can grab a turned tenon?

This would work with none of the above (assumes ability to drill straight hole on center, though):

Turn your stock round between centers. Drill the hole. Then push in a piece of dowel (you can turn this) that fits with no slop, and sticks out for easy removal. Now, turn this between centers 'til finished.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• kwgeorge
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Alvin, TX, USA.

The advice you have been given is good. A drill chuck in the tailstock is a good way to go and so is pre-drilling, I have done both. How large of hole are we talking?

Comment

• Hal4son
          Established Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Richardson, Texas, USA.

I have the cast iron 12" HF lathe and the hole I was trying to drill was 1" wide by 6" deep. Too wide for the neck of my grecian urn shaped vase. It would have fit the first model, but due to catches I had to reshape it down somewhat and that's when it got too narrow. I have a jacobs chuck, which I tried out on a piece of pine. The pine promptly exploded off the lathe; perhaps too soft a wood, too aggressive in drill ing, or too fast a lathe. Remember this lathe only goes down to about 500 rpm. I like the dowel idea for holding it after drilling, and will have to retry the jacobs chuck. Thanks for all the ideas.
          2nd Amendment - without it, the others are just words written in the wind.

Comment

Working...