Turned Jewelry

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • 3281
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

    #1

    Turned Jewelry

    LOML has asked me for a set of wooden ear rings and I need help.
    Has anyone turned any?
    Length is not an issue but I would think that weight would be.
    What do you use, a chuck or a mandrel?
    If I keep her happy the tool budget doesn't go away, I want to keep her happy.
    Dick

    http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 1419
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

    #2
    I can relate to the keeping happy part! Everything I do she has first dibs on. I have played around with some turned jewelry and have found my Collet chuck to be very handy for this small work but your normal chuck will hold just fine. I did an article awhile back on finials where I show the different methods for holding small work.

    Comment

    • Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • 3281
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

      #3
      Ken

      Thanks. I'll do a search and take a look at it.
      Dick

      http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

      Comment

      • Chuck C
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • 430
        • USA.

        #4
        Dick,

        I saw this on tv.

        http://www.diynet.com/diy/shows_dwtt..._35238,00.html
        Chuck C

        If the skipper heard you call that deck a floor he would throw you through that little round window

        Comment

        • kwgeorge
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • 1419
          • Alvin, TX, USA.

          #5
          Just to add a bit to my comments; you will find my writings here:

          http://www.theturnersshop.com/turnin.../finials1.html

          You may also find a better way to hold your stoppers and other small items by using a #2 MT Collet with a draw bar available here;

          http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...o.x=13&Go.y=11

          Collets are a great way to hold small turnings and are extremely accurate. I even rebuilt my pen mandrel to use a collet so I can shorten it at will.

          Comment

          Working...