• Show
Clear All
  • Denco
    • Mar 2003
    • Coming soon: California
    • BT3100

Paging KWGEORGE

Ken,
    I've read your reviews on your site several times now. Looks like LOML is going to buy me a chuck.

Since it's my first chuck, I'm thinking about the CMG3 from Penn State. Now that you've had yours awhile, do you still feel that it's a good buy? Thanks.
    *****Measure twice, cut once.....rats, back to the lumber yard.*****
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

I do like the PSI chuck and use it quite a bit. I do small things with it and use the small cole jaws for holding boxes and such when I finish the bottom. To be perfectly honest lets take a look at the chuck.

The chuck has been reported by several people to have substantial run-out and had to be replaced several times in order to get one that had acceptable run-out. I did not have this problem and mine runs very true but the problem has been reported by many people.

The chuck bars are very soft and bend very easily while tightening the chuck. I have replaced mine with Cobalt Drill rod to solve this problem.

The jaws extend over the body of the chuck unless it is totally closed and I find this kind of a safety issue. I work around it by attaching a wrist sweat band around the jaws. Really smarts to get hit by one of those.

The chucks holding power is not very good from the factory and I altered the jaws just a bit with a Dremel tool to make them sharper and hold better.

The only jaws that fit on this chuck are the ones that come with it and as far as I know those are the only ones available for it. So if you damage a jaw you may be out of luck.

As a second chuck or one just to get you started it is a good deal but you need to understand the down side to it. As long as you go into it expecting a good value for the money you are ok but if you expect a precision instrument for that amount of money you will be disappointed.

For a first chuck I suggest a Nova Midi chuck from Craft Supplies USA for $119 it will use most of the Nova accessories or a basic One Way from Lee Valley Tools for $169 I think you will be happier and can grow into it. Later on you could get the PSI as a handy second chuck. I am up to 4 chucks now and still thinking about getting another one.

Comment

• Denco
      • Mar 2003
      • BT3100

Thanks, Ken. After ready your post, I believe I'll go with the Nova Midi. I wasn't aware of the others having issues with the PSI chuck. Think I'll steer clear of that. The local WoodCraft here in town is offering the midi at $119 as well.

Your advice was really, really appreciated.--Den

Comment

• Denco
        • Mar 2003
        • BT3100

Ken,
        Just wanted to thank you again for the advice. I picked up the Nova chuck at WoodCraft today and I really like the look and feel of it. Can't wait to start using it. --Den

Comment

Working...