• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

Drive Belt - Delta Midi

I butchered the drive belt on my Delta Midi while drilling the body hole in a peppermill.

Anybody know if WoodCraft retail stores stock replacement belts. If not, where do you think I can get a workable fix on Sunday? I read somewhere that Napa has a belt for variable speed applications that will work.

Thanks for your help,

- Lonnie
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • Scottydont
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Edmonds, WA, USA.
    • Delta Industrial Hybrid

If the belt is still in one piece auto parts stores have a belt measuring tool that can measure yours and try to match it up with one they have. Is the Delta a V belt or Serpentine?
    Scott
    "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• kwgeorge
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Alvin, TX, USA.

According to the parts list on your Delta you have a V-Belt so an Auto Parts store is the right place to start.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
        • May 2003
        • Orlando, FL, USA.
        • BT3000

It is still in one piece -- although with funky twists.

I wouldn't call it a V-belt. It is flat with ~5 ridges on the inside, parallel to the belt. The ridges ride in grooves in the pulleys. The outside of the belt has cuts pendicular to the belt that allow it to flex. Has cord inside, like a fan belt. It's made from a pliable plastic feeling material.

I'm checking WoodCraft and Napa today. I feel a special order coming on ...

- Lonnie

Comment

• kwgeorge
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Alvin, TX, USA.

Ah! That’s not what the manual says it has. That is the same style belt on my Jet Mini and on the Carbatec. It is also the same belt as that is on the old POS Craftsmen. So Sears may be an option also. That belt is more like a serpentine belt rather than a V-Belt. I think I should go ahead and find a spare.

Does the belt have a number or anything written on it?

Comment

• mudder
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • I live in a house
            • Delta 36-650

quote:Originally posted by Lonnie in Orlando

........I wouldn't call it a V-belt...........
            It's technical name is multi-v. I think is's going to be a hard thing to find at an auto parts store but you may get lucky and find one. You may have to go to Gates, MSC, Grainger, McMaster-Carr or a place like that to find the correct one. (edit) Delta is always an option.
            I usually buy a spare whenever I need a machine belt replaced and then I usually never have to replace the belt again.

Mudder

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
              • May 2003
              • Orlando, FL, USA.
              • BT3000

An update and my 2-cents worth ...

Couldn't find a replacement belt in Orlando. Not WoodCraft. Not Delta authorized repair centers. The PC/Delta factory center in Tampa had only two in stock. I followed Mudder's advice and bought both of them.

If you have a Delta Midi Lathe, you may want to buy an extra belt now, before you need it.

- Lonnie

Comment

Working...