• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Houston Area Sharpening services price list

Here for general interest is the local sharpening service that most hardware stores send to - They make a weekly run to pickup and drop off work so it takes 7+ days if you time it right and bring it in before the pickup day and 14+ days if you bring it in the day after the pickup day.

Houston Area prices current price list

Click image for larger version

Name:	CCI01252023_00000 Sharpening price list 2023.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	853721
    Attached Files
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I've been sending my blades out to either Quinn Saw or Burns Tools. I think Quinn does a better job and turns blades around faster, but they only do saw blades. The prices for both Quinn and Burns are comparable to what you've posted. Once you include shipping both ways, the cost skyrockets though.
    Chr's

Comment

• Brian G
      Brian G commented
      Editing a comment
      If you're looking for something local, consider https://ophovensaw.com/services.html. I haven't used them, but my professional cabinet maker neighbor highly recommends them. Then you can swing by the Burnsville Rockler store and poke through their outlet/dinged and beat up box section to buy stuff you didn't need but couldn't pass up because it was marked down so low.
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

We used to have a sharpening service branch here, but it closed several years ago. The local Woodcraft Store sends items to the service's main shop up in Michigan.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• nicer20
      Established Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Dublin, CA
      • BT3100

I have not very extensively searched my local area (SF Bay area, California) but the only Woodcraft store we had in my area closed several years ago :-(

If I am shipping my blades to a sharpening service, the cost of sharpening + shipping to & fro just doesn't seem worth it. I can get a brand-new Diablo blade for that price. I am not as master woodworker as some of you so don't have any Forrest WWIIs type of blades. Most of my blades are Diablo class blades that seem to be serving me decently. At one point I looked into re-sharpening the original Ryobi blade that came with my saw but again the cost was prohibitive compared to a new 40 tooth Diablo blade.

It is probably not as environmentally friendly as re-sharpening a blade but unfortunately for me, it doesn't work economically.

I got to check with my local ACE like Loring's post above if they offer any service with local pickup and drop-off. That can change the equation with no S&H costs involved.

Comment

• capncarl
        capncarl commented
        Editing a comment
        Some of the retail woodworking suppliers that offer sharpening services like mentioned above do not use an added fee for shipping because they have trucks running back and forth quite frequently and the sharpening service is a good customer draw.
        The services where you pay USPS or UPS shipping and delivery the cost comes close to the purchase price of the blade.

• nicer20
        nicer20 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep agreed. I need to do some more research around my area.

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        having PU and delivery saves costs of mailing. But the cost is wait time. Between a 8 days and 2 weeks... you have to have it there prior to the weekly PU date and it won't be back until a week and a day later if you hit the cycle just right.
    • helendam
      Handtools only
      • Aug 2023

Originally posted by twistsol
      I've been sending my blades out to either Quinn Saw or Burns Tools. I think Quinn does a better job and turns blades around faster, but they only do saw blades. The prices for both Quinn and Burns are comparable to what you've posted. Once you include shipping both ways, the cost skyrockets though. only up online
      That's right, the high cost makes me feel very difficult.
      Last edited by helendam; 08-31-2023, 04:28 AM.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I need to see if Kilgores in League City is doing this. They used to when I worked there when I was in college but.... well i Have had a career since then...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tommchris
          Handtools only
          • Oct 2023

Reach out to local sharpening businesses directly. You can find contact information on their websites or in online directories. Give them a call or send an email to inquire about their pricing.

Comment

• Black walnut

Black walnut
            commented
            Editing a comment
            What makes you think the OP didn't do that? He started the thread with specific information from local to him sharpening services 10 months ago. How is your reply adding to the conversation in a meaningful way?
        Working...