• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Spiral carbide router bits -expensive!

I thought I wanted a 3/8" diameter spiral downcut bit 1/2" shank for a project

Wow sticker shock. Guess its been a while since I bought any solid carbide bits.

$49 at MLCS
    Amana or Whiteside at Amazon about $65
    No-name at Amazon started around $32.

Guess I'll just use my HSS straight 3/8" bit in my MLCS set.

Click image for larger version  Name:	knees_of_frustration_300_clr_22497.gif Views:	0 Size:	356.9 KB ID:	853550
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-18-2023, 05:16 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Everything has gotten more costly. My $2,499 electric riding mower is now $3,199. The Whiteside bowl bit I recently bought was $45.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

One thing I found that has not increased much . . . Don't laugh . . .

I bought one 8 years ago and LOML looked at me like I was crazy. I told her that she liked them in Japan. It didn't take her but a day to learn to appreciate it. There were not that many versions available back then, even on Amazon. Well, the heated seat quit working a week ago. I started looking for a new one and more expensive of course. BUT LOML HATES Change, She did not want a new version! She did not want one with a hand held remote either. She wanted the same one. Amazon still had that model of 8 years ago and the company still made and sold the same model, plus parts. I ordered and received the same model again at the same price of 8 years ago. LOML is HAPPY.

BTW, replacement seats are available, so I ordered a replacement seat today and it will go into the guest bathroom. I will have to disassemble the back part with the electronics in it, but it doesn't look too difficult.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        That probably only means you paid too much for it 8 years ago! :-)
    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I should have finished my collection of the mitered door frame router bits years ago. They are spendy!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Black walnut
        Administrator
        • Aug 2015
        • BT3K

Just spent $60 for a carbide 65°x.300 dovetail milling bit, on sale. This replaces the HSS $30 one I just had purchased and didn't make it through one front sight build job.... Often it pays to pay more once than more the second time around....

I am afraid to go shopping for lumber. Maybe I can trade some farm fresh eggs for good hardwood....
        just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• Dedpedal
          Established Member
          • Feb 2020
          • Palm Coast Florida
          • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

****, even my blood pressure has increased. I’m in for a shock when my wife gets the estimate for pantry built ins.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Dedpedal
            ****, even my blood pressure has increased. I’m in for a shock when my wife gets the estimate for pantry built ins.
            At the present rate of inflation buying and keeping an extra month's groceries and storing them on the new shelves may pay for the shelves in short order.

[Not intended as a political comment!!!]

Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...