I am going down the Ryobi One+ route. What tools should I plan for?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leehljp
    replied
    I finished helping the building of a rural church last weekend. I used a number of Ryobi 18V tools last Saturday:
    Brushless drill
    Brushless impact driver
    Brushless 7 1/4 circular saw
    Brushless Multi-tool
    Mini-cut-off tool
    Random Orbit Sander
    Brushless JigSaw

And that was the tools I used on Saturday only.

I installed a bathroom stall dividers and a cover for the electric water heater. The electric water heater was moved to the women's bathroom so that they could have access to hot water instantly. I wanted them to have on-demand hot water but a new electric hot water "tank" was donated, so the wiring and water pipes were re-arranged (and approved) to locate the hot water tank in the corner of the overly large bathroom. I had to install a cover for it and make it look good too!

No corded tools were used.

OH, I did use LOML's hand held Hoover vac to clean up sawdust. She never knew I had taken it.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Frye
    commented on 's reply
    I have one of the original One+ nailer/staplers from the blue period. It is beyond useless. It will only drive the shortest of nails in soft wood and will not seat staples. Fortunately, I didn't pay anything for it.

• leehljp
    replied
    Originally posted by capncarl
    My most unliked Ryobi tool WAS the battery powered caulking gun. It just kept squirting out caulk after the trigger was released. I was preparing a whole house before painting and didn’t have time to deal with doing clean up and doing the fine work with a regular gun or my favorite, a toothpaste type tube of caulking. It’s the one tool that I can honestly say that I just tossed in a dumpster rather than give it away or salvage parts from!
    I read the comments and star ratings on all tools before buying. The caulking gun is one tool that has had far more poor ratings than almost any other tool by Ryobi.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Frye
    commented on 's reply
    Interesting, mine has been flawless every time I've used it. It's from the old blue/yellow period. It has always pulled the plunger back when the trigger is released. It is also powerful enough to push the plunger through the material if you forget to break the seal, which I have done a couple of of times and it creates an unbelievable mess.

• capncarl
    replied
    My most unliked Ryobi tool WAS the battery powered caulking gun. It just kept squirting out caulk after the trigger was released. I was preparing a whole house before painting and didn’t have time to deal with doing clean up and doing the fine work with a regular gun or my favorite, a toothpaste type tube of caulking. It’s the one tool that I can honestly say that I just tossed in a dumpster rather than give it away or salvage parts from!

Leave a comment:

• sweensdv
    commented on 's reply
    I bought the 1 gallon model a few years ago and have been very pleased with it.

• leehljp
    replied
    I started buying Ryobi lithium battery powered tools about 13 years ago and have about 15 total batteries, my first 5 or 6 still work. I don't really keep up with them that much but I generally keep them all charged. I will use 6 or 7 tools at a time. My most used tools is the impact driver followed by the drill. I have been surprised at how many times I use the 18V mini cut-off tool :https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...S02B/313438685
    Very handy tool. And the 18v multi tool is used often.
    Last edited by leehljp; 04-28-2023, 09:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Frye
    replied
    I have six One+ batteries (1 2 ahr., 3 4 ahr., & 2 6 ahr.) The 2 ahr. is used in the FM radio pretty much exclusively. The 4 & 6 ahr. batteries are used in rotation and hold enough charge to be usable in that cycle. I have two 18 volt rapid chargers which is sufficient to keep everything available when needed. On the 40 volt side, I have two rapid chargers and also use the aforementioned batteries in rotation. Again, batteries hold their charge levels between uses. I also have a Hilti drill and a Makita drill purchased before the One+ system creation with dead batteries that I have stopped having the packs rebuilt, so those two drills sit in their cases for future generations to deal with when I'm gone. My first One+ 18 volt lithium pack lasted 13 years before it wouldn't take a charge.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0171.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	854958 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0280.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	854959
    Last edited by Jim Frye; 04-28-2023, 02:53 PM. Reason: added pics

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Tell me how you guys manage your battery tools
    There are a range of tools that you list that I don't use everyday, maybe once a month to once a year...
    Hedge trimmer, chain saw, router, circular saw etc.
    My most used tools - drill driver, impact driver often don't get used for a month or two at a time.

So as a result, tools that don't get used a lot
    • the battery is flat when I need to use it
    • the battery takes a hour or more to charge and if its flat I can't use it for an hour
    • keeping multiple battery tools and packs on charge takes a lot of room
    • keeping multiple battery packs on 100% charge all the time is not good for them esp. if they don't have really smart chargers.
    • letting battery packs go completely flat is not good for them either
    • battery packs in storage are best kept around 50% charge, how do you accomplish that?
    In short, batteries are too much maintenance for me except for my drill and impact driver which thankfully have the same battery pack.
    I have at least 4 drills and impact drivers that are in the junk drawer because the battery systems or chargers are dead and not worth fixing.

Battery tools are, to me, for guys who use them frequently (like daily or at least weekly, and away from their workbench/shop.
    I just find their portability does not make up for the inconvenience and maintenance and often lower power.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-28-2023, 11:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    commented on 's reply
    Ryobi makes a 12" chainsaw with 18V. I have been using one for about 3 years now. I agree that a 16 inch would be great, and I would even be happy with a 14 inch in the 18v. But, The 12Inch has been extremely helpful and I have cut far more that I would have thought.

• dbhost
    commented on 's reply
    My use for the chain saw is typically for dealing with stormfall / post hurricane. I managed well enough with a plug in Remmington with 16" bar for years until I wore it out. I just need a saw effective at cutting at least through enough that I can pull a fallen log off of my house, or from across the road.

• Jim Frye
    replied
    I have an 18 volt One+ 22" hedge trimmer and it works great, but since I also have 40 volt OPE tools (21" Whisper Series Snowblower, 750 cfm Whisper Series Leaf Blower, & an attachment capable trimmer power head), I wish the hedge trimmer was also 40 volt. Then I could use batteries and chargers that are out in the garage. I bought the hedge trimmer before the 40 volt line came out. The 40 volt packs have really good staying power. I have 3 4 ahr., 2 6 ahr., & 2 7.5 ahr. packs. With the fan cooled rapid chargers, the packs recharge at the rate of an ahr. every 10 minutes. The two 7.5 ahr. packs will run the snowblower for an hour and fifteen minutes. With all of the batteries and two rapid chargers, I can run the snowblower non-stop. The 40 volt string trimmer runs the cultivator attachment just as well as the 4 cycle power head did before it.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    So no new One+ tools for me lately. But a wish. I wish the 18V battery pack chainsaw was available with a longer than 10" bar. Like at least a 16" bar. But no, you have to go with the 40v model to get that... Defeats the point of the common battery...

Leave a comment:

• pepilloebach75
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Frye
    Mine are almost all from the '90s. Take your pick from the picture below. The most used one is the impact driver, probably due to my weakening grip due to advancing age. Second most used is the 3/8" VSR drill. Third would be one of the flashlights. The others get used occasionally, but one other is a really good tool. The caulking gun is a wizard design. It is very precise in product delivery and it automatically pulls the plunger when the trigger is released. It will actually push the plunger through the product tube if you forget to puncture the seal (VOE). I have had none of these tools fail in all the years I've owned them. My first LiOn One+ battery pack lasted 13 years. The demolition saw is a good tool and the right angle drill is very useful in tight spaces. I've only used the rotozip type tool a couple of times, but it worked as well as a corded one. Number 22 rubber crutch tips work as battery post contact covers for outside work.
    I basically agree with this. There is logic in this, as for me, of course there are controversial points. I usually used http://essaypapers.reviews/ for this. If something was not clear, then this method helped me. I will continue to think about this. Thank God there is time for this.
    Click image for larger version Name:	0EE135CB-0157-4B36-9258-3A202D63B37B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.7 KB ID:	853473
    my dream !
    Last edited by pepilloebach75; 04-25-2023, 07:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    I have this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...P135/206892719

I just saw something that I did not see when I bought mine 2+ years ago and that is to not let the batteries stay in the charger after they. are charged. The "intelliport" reading used to say that it was Ok to leave them in.

Leave a comment:

Working...