X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dkinzl1
    Handtools only
    • Dec 2022

Hitachi B16RM Drill Press-used

Okay, there is a Hitachi B16RM on an auction site in IL. Lot 6 on Bauer Auctions site, Mattoon, IL. They have several upcoming auctions, this is the On The Level Downsizing auction. Ends tomorrow evening. I tried to post the link but I guess that's not allowed.

When looking up a value I found numerous sites for new ones at $2200 and up. I've found used ones and expired auction at prices from $200-$450 which would indicate they were much more than that new. However, then I land on a Sawdust zone forum thread from 2006 where everyone is running around the US trying to get the same drill press (floor model Hitachi B16RM, laser, etc.) from Lowes for $129, on sale from $199. Again, that was in 2006.

What I'm trying to figure out is why such a HUGE difference in cost. Are they really the same press or was there a cheaper big box version with the same badge? Info on the side of the pricier presses compared the same as the auction press. How on earth can something that was $200 sixteen years ago be $2500 now? If they are somehow different, how can I tell? I'm thinking if I can get a >$2000 drill press for a couple hundred bucks, I'm on it. But I don't want to spend $200 on something someone got at Lowes for the same price or even cheaper.

That was an 8 page thread back in 2006 so I'm hoping someone here can shed some light.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Don't over think it.

I have that drill press, I am probably one of the ones posting heavily to that thread. I still use it and its one of my favorite tools.
    IIRC its a 15-inch swing, 12-speed, 5/8" chuck floor standing model weighs about 160 pounds. Quill travel somewhere around 3.5 inches. And a laser.
    Its a solid drill press, well made. But nothing special. I haven't been in the market for a drill press obviously for quite a while (this was my third one) but imagine I could replace it with a similar capability name brand one for $250-300 back then, probably a bit more today $400-500 just guessing. So when Lowes clearanced them for prices under $130 it was a big deal. I got one and then got a refund when they dropped it to $100 shortly after.. They were discontinuing and clearing them out, at a major discount, which is not uncommon for large power tools. Part of the Frenzy was, even if your lowes did not have them on sale they had to price match receipts posted from other Lowes around the country at that time.

So yeah i've seen those ridiculous prices... I don't think you can even get one, There's always some idiot who sells stuff on eBay for ten times the going price... for either a fool or someone who just has to have that exact model for some reason. like written into a contract or something.

Its not perfect... I redesigned the depth stop to my liking. It has a typical machinists style table so I bought a $100+ drill press table & fence accessory for woodworking from Woodpeckers.
    But its solid and I enjoy using it.

But If I had to replace it with a new DP for some reason, I would not spend $2000 on one. I'd buy a Delta or Grizz or Jet for $400 or so or hunt up a used one in the range of $200 or so or one for $100 that needed some TLC.

But when I got it $130 was a super hot deal and $100 final price was even better.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-10-2022, 02:11 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

https://bauerauction.hibid.com/lot/1...q=&ref=catalog

next bid is $135.

looks clean and well cared for. Even has the chuck key!
      Ends tomorrow.

If you can pick it up for $135 that's a great deal, but it says there's 30 bids on it already,
      So there may be some competition.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-10-2022, 03:30 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dkinzl1
        Handtools only
        • Dec 2022

Thanks LCHIEN. I'm just a small time DIY who would like to replace a decent bench DP with a floor model if I can get something decent for <$200. I don't have near the need for even a $400 press, yet alone something over $2k. I might only use the thing a dozen times a year!

If you search the model you'll see the new ones going for over $2k. But I agree, you may not even be able to actually buy from those sites or you're nuts if you do. Example: is on something called Sams Stores, not to be confused with Sam's Club BTW. The site's phone numbers do have US prefixes, but I don't see a business address. There is an example of a used one in VA, USA for $1800 where they say their dad bought it new for $2500. Website is shoppok.com.
        I can't disparage someone I don't know, but who knows what was paid for it.​

The big difference in price still baffles me though; something that sold for $200 or less new 15 years ago but is over $2k now. The fantasy of course was for someone to say "Look at blah blah blah in the auction picture, those are the $2500 models, not the Loews version" and then I get it for a couple hundred bucks. I'll wait for others to comment, but I'm thinking they are the same drill press then and now. And you are correct on the auction. I have purchased quite a few things from them since they are within a couple hours from home, but the real bidding starts a half hour before the lot closes. Waiting until last seconds doesn't matter, they add three or four minutes to close anytime there is a bid in the last few minutes and that dance can go on for quite a while. Can't blame them there, the more they sell it for, the more they make.

When it comes down to it, I only cared that I don't pay more for something than its worth. Therefore, paying more than $150 for a used one probably isn't the best idea based on what I've learned here; thanks again. Especially since I have a fine working bench model now. On the other hand, paying "new" price ($200) might be okay when considering comparable new DP now would be $400-500. I'll check back here for further comments and will keep an eye on it, but that's where I'm at now.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

You can forget those $2K ones, it just took one guy to post it and someone else said if he can sell it for that so can i.. I'll bet those web ages are 15 years old.
          There's a lot of outrageous prices for discontinued items, I guess people think if someone really needs one....
          I saw an ad a few years ago. Some guy had some ordinary inexpensive item on a table with a price tag of $10,000. Man walks by and says "You sell any at that price???" and the guy replies, "No, but it just takes one."

BTW, those two I see selling for $2K+ are 220-240 volt use.

As for the auction, If its 30 bids, a day before it closes, there will not be a bargain at the end.

and its only a deal if you are close enuf to pick it up.

Good luck/
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-10-2022, 05:00 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by dkinzl1
            Okay, there is a Hitachi B16RM on an auction site in IL. Lot 6 on Bauer Auctions site, Mattoon, IL. They have several upcoming auctions, this is the On The Level Downsizing auction. Ends tomorrow evening. I tried to post the link but I guess that's not allowed.
            We have had a bunch of spammers that come on and join just to post spam links. For that reason, we limit the first three (or is it five) posts to no links.

Welcome to Sawdustzone and glad you got some good answers from Loring too!
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I found and posted the link in post no. 3.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dkinzl1
                Handtools only
                • Dec 2022

No worries Hank. Thanks to both of you. I didn't even bother watching the end of the auction; I'll see what it went for later this week. Dad always said, "The best thing about a good deal is, another one always comes along." That's never been wrong in my simple life. At least not in so significant a way that I even remember.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

SOLD for $162.50
                  If you look at in the context that there's some "LISTED" for sale for $2000+ then its a super bargain
                  If you look at it from the standpoint of the Lowes clearances on 2006 for new ones for $100-140 then its expensive
                  If you look at it from the standpoint of value for money as a used drill press on its specs its probably a good deal.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-12-2022, 12:13 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

For what it's worth, Hitachi, now Metabo HPT power tools are in my experience absolutely top shelf fit finish and build wise. They don't necessarily have the newest and fanciest features, but are built to be rock solid reliable and smooth as butter to use. I have 2 of the KM12VC router kits, and the 12" double bevel sliding miter saw and they are hands down the smoothest operating power tools I own.

I look at the Metabo HPT website, and they no longer appear to manufacture a drill press of any sort.

Around here, just about ANY working floor model drill press sells for at least $200.00 on Craigslist lately. Prices have shot WAY up since I got my old one in what was it 2008 for $75.00.

IF you can score one of those Hitachis for under $250.000, in decent to good shape, given the specs, I would say you got a deal.

Anyone trying to sell one for more than $400.00 IMHO can keep it.
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...