Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Choosing Wood glue

Here's a helpful comparison by Titebond to choose between their glues

http://www.titebond.com/community/th...94&_hsenc=p2AN qtz-9wnGK-UmaYuY16zm_HD-detDU-RYHHFQAZyucL4KlduOl-vqz_kdjOuHZn38FwIEDZ8cAi7sX5ALfoRnOHpi_auL4qDA&utm _content=227451894&utm_source=hs_email

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	157.2 KB ID:	852430
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	73
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	852432
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-28-2022, 02:03 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Of course we know the difference between interior and exterior. Interior should NOT be used in exterior, - but what is the harm or drawback to using exterior glues for interior use projects?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by leehljp
      Of course we know the difference between interior and exterior. Interior should NOT be used in exterior, - but what is the harm or drawback to using exterior glues for interior use projects?
      Their chart lists the exterior premium (II) and ultimate (III) glues as an :effective alternative" for indoor use.
      The down side or drawback is that the II and III products are more expensive than the original (I). Something they did not quantify in their charts.
      At Lowes, a quick check shows the I, II and III in the 4 oz size cost $2.98, $3.98 and $4.98 respectively.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-28-2022, 06:14 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
        leehljp commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I didn't think it hurt to use exterior for interior. The prices on that scale don't bother me.

• capncarl
        capncarl commented
        Editing a comment
        The way I understand this type glue is the longer open time (assembly time) the stronger bond you will have. This is due to the glue having more time to soak into the wood fibers, thus a stronger bond.

This is also the reason not to use old glue that has thickened and will not penetrate well, thus is a weaker bond.

I remember seeing a bunch of comments on various sites that recommended adding vinegar to thin glue that had thickened with age. I question what this will do to the glue. This information Is probably about as useless as all of the suggestions to make your own chalk paint using plaster of Paris, flour, and any number of white powder substance to latex paint.

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        OTOH, you don't want glue too thin either. You can't get it to stay on vertical surfaces.
    Working...