• Show
Clear All
  • biologyben
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2007
    • WV
    • Craftsman 21829

Fix Lateral movement in Porter Cable Scroll saw

Just picked up an 18” porter cable Scroll saw (PCB375SS) used from a makerspace that had a dewalt donated. Picked up for my daughter to make some things as her first ‘big’ power tool.

Anyone have experience fixing these? The bevel guage is off (not reading 0’ when perpendicular) which is not awful, just annoying.

Worse is the blade seems to tilt slightly during the movement, if 90’ at bottom of stroke, there’s a slight gap at the top. And even worse, at the table, I can measure a side-to-side movement in the blade of about 1/8”, which is obviously no good.

I’ve not felt any side-to-side play in either arm, and I believe the blade tension is set correctly.

I found other similar posts similar about new saws, but these were returned and I didn’t find any suggested fixes yet.

Any advice is appreciated!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Well, yes, absolutely. If the blade does not track perfectly up and down with no side to side movement, any significant side to side will translate into horrible vibration of the workpiece.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...