• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Has anyone heard about the Saw Stache?

You folks know I HATE the belching obnoxious plume of sawdust the pukes off of my sliding miter saw, but I still LOVE my sliding miter saw. Quite the quandry actually....

I stumbled upon a Fast Cap product called Saw Stache, which is basically just a set of bristles that attach to your saw hood, brush against the workpiece and direct sawdust to your collection port, in theory.

I know people use them on the Festool Kapex, I am just wondering if anyone else has thought about maybe attaching one, I guess it is just a material so a segment of... to a regular old sliding miter saw?

If you have or know someone who has, has it been an improvement?

I'm not naive enough to think any one trick will fix this issue, or if it is even totally fixable at all, but just try to get it more under control is what I am aiming for.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Oh, you missed a few posts here.

This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I'm thinking about buying a foot of 4" and trimming it to fit around the back of the saw shroud and up around 4" each side. Pretty sure at some point though bristles the blade teeth are gonna meet. Not sure if that is a problem or not. Attach it with 3M tape to insure I am not ripping out rivets and causing shrapnel if it goes bad...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I think it will work as a flexible stop for chips and some dust but no for diverting airflow/ vacuum.

Yrs. ago our factory had a big push to keep cool air inside the building on the shipping a receiving docks for trucks. These docks were already fitted with state of the art dock and truck seals but someone thought that if you couldn’t see through it that air wouldn’t go through it. It did keep out a few more bugs but the change in airflow was negligible.

I watch the Dust Rite collection device that I modified for my table saw and see chips and dust sucking into the collector without any help at all from the brush that surrounds it. In this case I think it’s just lipstick on a pig or architectural details.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          I was actually kind of wondering if it would just stop the dust / chips from spewing. I know it won't really help with airflow...

Honestly these rear slide sliding miter saws just by their overall concept / design are awful for collecting dust from, way worse than a standard miter saw. But their function is so useful it is hard to hate them...
      Working...