• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Air hose reel stopper

So the retaining screws for the stopper on my air hose reel are pulling through.

Replacing the original with one from interstate pnuematics.

Wish me luck!

not sure what I can do to keep rubber parts from deteriorating in the garage...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Planned obsolescence? Or cheapest OEM procurement?

I have found cheap rubber/plastic parts both with operational function, or for covering moving mechanical objects do not weather (even out of the weather) well today, as compared to similar items years ago. The exception to this for me is my 13 year old 410,000 mile Camry hybrid. I am surprised at the longevity of the plastic and rubber parts on it. Fantastic.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

It’s only going to get worse. In the last 4-5 yrs every plastic piece that I’ve bought or had made with 3D printer has failed.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        Not super encouraging. What filament are you using?
    • LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Did you consider making one out of wood? Seems like it would be easy enough.

Hole saw, and a smaller hole saw or forstner to make a donut. Some drilling at a tricky angle for a couple of deep screws and then saw the donut in half.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-04-2022, 05:11 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a bad idea, but no. I hadn't considered it...
    • capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I think wood is ideal, just haven’t taken the time to whittle one out.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

OT somewhat: I have two approximate 20 ft, 14 gauge extension cords I bought when I was in Japan. Been back here 11 years. Those two cords, they were soft and flexible. They still are soft an flexible even in freezing weather. Most of my Makita tool cords are/were very flexible and yet long lasting. American cord's rubber/plastic are stiffer, brittle and seem to have an early planned obsolescence.

I find the quality cords on tools like the Fein and Festool also.

Loring, I like the "wood" idea!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I have a 4000 psi pressure washer hose that is so stiff you have to lay it on the hot driveway in the sun to get is softened up enough to roll up. I purchased 2 hoses at the same time, both identical, and have not used hose # 2 at all. Out of curiosity I opened hose #2 to see if it was stiff, and no it was as pliable as you would expect a braided wire hose to. I guess exposure to sunlight makes them stiff.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Sadly I have the replacement stopper on order / shipped. No sense in going through the effort of making the wooden donut at this point, HOWEVER, should I have need for one in the future I might just have to do that...

I would think the hardest operation to do for that is to cut the donut in half so it could go around the hose...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              LCHIEN commented
              Editing a comment
              bandsaw....
          • LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Did you consider making one out of wood? Seems like it would be easy enough.

Hole saw, and a smaller hole saw or forstner to make a donut. Some drilling at a tricky angle for a couple of deep screws and then saw the donut in half.
            Ah, the way around the tricky drill deal is to drill while its still square and before you make the two big holes. Then you are drilling square surfaces instead of obliquely on the side of a circle..

And you know there is no real reason why the stopper has to be round and cannot be a square! Or an octangle if you 45 the corners of the square. That makes it a whole lot easier. Then you can round it off even more on a sander.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-05-2022, 04:00 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I bet you could shape an oval or whatever you wanted faster using a belt or disk sander over fitting out the hole saw and fretting with getting everything symmetrical, and would still have to put time/labor in it rounding everything.

Comment

Working...