• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Ryobi 18V Lithium batteries and the Brushed/Brushless tool revolution

I don't know how many of you have been keeping up with the Ryobi's Lithium Battery changes going on, and although minor, there is a difference. Ryobi has come out with a HP 18V battery and is offering it with specific tools. They have an extra contact that the older lithium batteries don't have, and they do seem to have more power.

But the point of this is to note that if you are looking for Ryobi deals and they offer Two Lithium batteries for $99 and a free tool - but there is a small catch to it. They come with the older type batteries, not the HP.
    And another deal to watch is if you choose some New Tools, some deals come with the older type batteries and some come with the New HP type batteries.

AND in some sales, they are offering brushed type tools that look almost exactly like the Brushless tools. In some cases there are significant difference in prices, but with some other tools, the price differences are not that much. The new HP batteries are generally aimed at the new brushless tools, but will work on older tools.

Confusing, The key is look for 1. BRUSHED or BrushLESS; 2. Regular 18V and HP 18V Batteries; then 3. look for what comes together with bundled sales.

I have been through that several times in the past 6 months.

I should note that new the 2 Ah batteries have battery level lights like the 4 Ah batteries. The older 2Ah batteries did not have battery level lights, but are still offered in special deals to sweeten sales.
    Last edited by leehljp; 06-19-2022, 07:23 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Same for the 40 volt Ryobi tools. I have some 6 ahr. 40 volt packs that are the same size as some 4 ahr. 40 volt packs. Some are bigger.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Do you happen to know if the charger for the regular 18V One+ charger will work with these HP batteries? I'm trying to reduce our total ship weight here and would consider selling my drill/driver/circular saw and 2 batteries for newer brushless kit. I have a cordless Ryobi weedwacker but would keep that battery.

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        Do you happen to know if the charger for the regular 18V One+ charger will work with these HP batteries? I'm trying to reduce our total ship weight here and would consider selling my drill/driver/circular saw and 2 batteries for newer brushless kit. I have a cordless Ryobi weedwacker but would keep that battery.
        I believe they will work with either version battery. I have a regular 40 volt charger and a couple of the rapid 40 volt chargers and both types will charge the regular and HP batteries with the same results.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Yes, they work with the older type. However, if you buy the new HP batteries with a tool as a set, a battery charger will come with them. What one MUST be careful on is to look for the words "HIGH PERFORMANCE" or "HP" designation as it concerns the BATTERY.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Just sold the regular 18V One+ drill/driver/circular saw and two 2Ah batteries and charger for $100.

I'm keeping the cordless brad nailer, recip saw, light (because I can't find the bulb), and multi-tool.

Now it's time to go shopping for some new tools.

Comment

• leehljp
              leehljp commented
              Editing a comment
              I found the bulbs for two of the lights on Amazon. Look at the numbers on the bulb and then you can probably find them on amazon. A couple of times when I could not find something on Amazon by the number, I googled the number for bulbs and it came up with a link to Amazon! It worked.

• atgcpaul
              atgcpaul commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm going to find an LED replacement bulb. Reviews are all over the place for those bulbs. I'm in no rush. The stock incandescent bulb that comes with this light is trash. It pops out and then dies if the light is ever dropped--probably what happened to this bulb when I first got it.

The light that came with my old Makita drill driver kit was so much better (but I sold that off some time ago).

• Jim Frye
              Jim Frye commented
              Editing a comment
              I bought a package of eight bulbs from an Amazon seller (don't recall who) and two of the eight were DOA. I needed two bulbs for the two 18 volt lights, so I still have spares. If the rule holds, I'll never need any again.
          • atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

If you have no cordless tools right now, Ridgid is running some pretty good sales right now.

Their similarly specced drill/driver combo (actually better torque and bigger batteries) is the same price as the comparable Ryobi kit--both brushless.

I have enough Ryobi cordless tools that I don't feel like re-buying so it looks like I will stay with Ryobi.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by atgcpaul
              If you have no cordless tools right now, Ridgid is running some pretty good sales right now.

I have enough Ryobi cordless tools that I don't feel like re-buying so it looks like I will stay with Ryobi.
              I did a 180 on that statement!

Our shipping weight estimate came in high so we've been shedding furniture, and I decided to shed nearly all my Ryobi tools. There was a local guy in the facilities department who picked up 2 batteries/charger, drill, driver, circular saw, recip saw, and multitool. I'm keeping the big 4Ah battery and Ryobi string trimmer, router, and 18gauge nail gun. He also bought my Grizzly trim router (I have another in storage), and QuickGrip and spring clamps. Someone else got my set of HF aluminum bar clamps and plastic saw horses.

I've got a Ridgid brushless kit in my HD cart now that will replace all the Ryobi stuff I sold. It actually gives me more batteries and better tools for $150 less than the currently equivalent Ryobi kit.

Comment

Working...