• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

CapnCarl warned me: Festool

Sometime ago, and I can't find it now, capncarl said that the Festool Sander pads would come apart. My 6 in Festool sander did just that today. I probably don't have 80 whole hours on it, but it is 11 years old. Got to look for a replacement. I have other sanders with sanding pad that have lasted longer in use and age!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Sorry you experienced a component failure on your investment grade sander! I was thinking it was just me having problems with the backup pads failing. The main problem I had was the Velcro just didn’t work any longer, and the optional 1” thick back up pad foam split and the Velcro quit as well. If these expendables weren’t so expensive probably wouldn’t think much about it but both of these pads are about $30.00 each. I’ve probably spent as much on replacement pads as I paid for my first Festool sander.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I looked at a YouTube today on taking the base off, as I ordered a replacement. Only thing about it was I could not get the base off as it mentioned on YouTube and one other place. I made a handle to grab the base to give me some leverage but I broke the 1/2" thick by 1 1/2" wide yellow pine lever and broken it instead of loosening the base plate. I am supposed to be able to press the lock lever on the side, lock the motor, and twist the base plate clockwise and it is supposed to come off, but even with a lever across it, I couldn't. When I get the new one, I will be able to tell more.
      Hank Lee

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I had a B&D Professional 1/4 sheet sander that ran for 45 years needing two replacement pads and a set of brushes during that time. The sander developed a winding problem, but by then parts were no longer available and the sander was replaced with a Makita unit. My Bosch 5" ROS is about 25 years old now and has had two velcro pads replaced when they would not hold a sanding disk any longer. The hooks get overheated during heavy use and lose their "hook". The pad is held on with a single socket head bolt, but the issue with the design is that vibration will loosen the bolt despite the lock washer. However, some blue threadlock fixes that issue.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Lee, I’ll check in a few min when I get back to the shop, but I don’t recall anything special about removing the disk pad. I remember a couple of screws and it fell off.
          I have the ETS 125 EQ, which I think is the one that they put on sale last yr. And i think the numbers on Forum is ETS EC 150. It is a squatty sander compared to Home
          it looks like they would have more rhyme and reason in their number sys.
          The back up disks are the same size but they have different hole patterns for the screws, so you can’t just have one spare.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
            commented
            Editing a comment
            Try that again without the number signs. The forum software interprets it now as specific hash tags... Apparently the developers didn't consider how people actually use the software...
        • capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

The ETS 125 EQ has 4 torx head screws. No fancy twisting off.
          The pad below is a PSA / Velcro pad that I buy in 6 packs, that I cleaned off the Festool Velcro and stuck my new pad on. It covered the factory screw holes, and I cut the center out for its vacuum hole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	73222FB4-67D7-45A3-8843-68B20B2773DD.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	851005

Name:	C8157652-3653-455B-B81F-C4075EB33FA1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	851006

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

If yours is the ETS EC 125/3 EQ it’s just 1 torx in the center

Name:	596D24CB-B254-4B55-B85A-EAD6EC1BFF4C.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	851008:

Name:	E9B674F7-7080-4FE8-AF48-7B2C58CFA2A7.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	851009

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Mine is the RO 150 FEQ which does not have a screw in it for the base attachment. I just discovered that LeeValley has replacements even though I have ordered one through Amazon (cheaper).

Here is the clearest picture - from LeeValley: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...yABEgL_N_D_BwE

It fits down into the sander and twist-locks somehow. I am thinking of using a bit if WD-40 to see if it will loosen up.

EDIT: FOUND MY PROBLEM:

Yesterday, I looked up the FOG (Festool Owners Group) and looked at the answer (on the wrong sander ), of which the base pad twists off CLOCKWISE. However, The RO 150 FEQ twists off COUNTER-clockwise, which I found out by trying it counter-clockwise. It worked easily.
              Last edited by leehljp; 05-29-2022, 04:59 PM.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                capncarl commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s a 150 (6”) that’s the difference. I wouldn’t have guessed anyone would ever use a twist lock on a vibrating machine! It is quite pricey too! Is there a hole to insert a pin to lock the shaft?

• leehljp
                leehljp commented
                Editing a comment
                No, There is not a hole to insert a pin but there is a lock button - but, but . . . There are two setting on the sander, random orbit and sheer rotation. The lock button only works when the setting is in the "Random Orbit" setting. That was the first thing that threw me off. I had it set in the sheer rotation mode and the lock would not work. After trying it several times, I had the idea of changing the setting (to random orbit) and sure enough, the lock button worked then.

• capncarl
                capncarl commented
                Editing a comment
                I stay with a 5” sander vrs a 6” sander because I primarily use 5” H&L sand paper for most all my tree making. (6” soft tapered spindles are not available and 5” is) I would really like it if 6” was
            • leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

The part came in from Amazon today. It is a little harder than the soft one that was standard on the RO 150. Went on easily and works fine. Actually I like it better than before, and I think that is because the pad is a bit harder and it really cuts wood with a 60 grit - more so than before on the other pad.

Part of the original reason I bought the RO 150 was to sand down the kitchen walls, which were/ are slat covered with mortar covered with and 5 different colors of paint underneath each other. I wanted a sander capable of sanding the multiple layers of paint to smooth, and with excellent dust collection - LOML's demand. The RO 150 did not sand as easily as my concept thought it should. Not being the expert, I think it was that I was using 80 grit AND the pad was too soft. The pad is now harder and I bought some 60 grit discs. That combination tore into a piece of door frame that I had replaced. The door frame board had the 5 levels of paint from the kitchen. The 60 grit and harder pad tore through that quickly, much faster than it did before. Harder pads do help. I am going to enjoy this.

Hard sanding pad: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
              Last edited by leehljp; 06-01-2022, 08:42 PM.
              Hank Lee

Comment

Working...