• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Anyone selling a used Grind N Hone?

I seriously doubt it, but my experience of trying to take the nicks out of my hand planes on the bench grinder got me thinking. I need a jig to hold that sucker straight...

The grind n hone looks amazing, but it is spendy for what it is, as in I can get a Wen Tormek clone for less money....

Anyone have any clues to where I can find a used one, or some alternative?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Never heard of that gizmo, had to Google it. Interesting but expensive idea. What about clamping a stick to the plane blade, perpendicular to the cutting edge, that can ride against the tool rest on the grinder? Something similar to what this pic shows for a chisel:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	850465

You have to play high-low to determine just how far back from the cutting edge to mount it but it costs a lot less!

mpc

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

You can almost buy a Worksharp for that kind of money. Click image for larger version

Name:	Worksharp3000.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	850468
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        You're telling me! I can get a Wen sharpening system (Tormek clone) for less money new.

I have some prototyping to do here shortly, but for now, I have to finish getting the spare bedroom ready for being home office Forum for my wife.... It'll actually be set up as a bedroom, just with a desk and nice chair is all... The walls are done, carpet, padding and tack strip are out, vacuumed up, concrete patch for the tack strip holes tomorrow. She wants to hold off on the laminate, so for now, concrete paint and a throw rug. We are needing to do foundation levelling and she wants to wait until that is done before I lay down the flooring...
    • leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

If a person is into bowl / spindle turning, they are not that expensive, they are a necessity. BTW, that is a relative new "name" just to distinguish it from earlier models and brands. The Wolverine type of system is widely used in the wood lathe communities - especially for middle and high end turners.

Mine: https://www.amazon.com/Sharpening-Tu...1HDEJGLE&psc=1

I bought this one a few years ago and use it with CBN wheels which grind to shape fast and yet do NOT burn the blade edges, which causes blades to lose their temper. That is a great quality of the Tormek system, but the downside of tormek is its extreme slowness to shape a blade's edge in the initial shape. I have 10 or 12 Japanese chisels that on the tormek (Grizzly version) took about an hour each to bring to shape. Once shaped, it only takes about 3 to 5 minutes or so to re-sharpen. On my Japanese chisels after doing 3 over 4 hours, I gave up. When I bought the CBN wheels (400 and 1000 grit) it only took 5 to 7 minutes to bring to shape and sharpen. Re-sharpening is less than a minute - and no burned edges from heat.

CBN wheels are not for soft steel and general run of the mill grinding, as it will clog the wheels up, and they are not for carbide blades either, but they meant for sharpening hard steel (HSS) used in blades. They do it relatively fast - my experience is that it is faster than a normal grinding wheel, but do not get real hot. Very few sparks. These too are expensive, but if using regularly, a huge bonus.
      https://woodturnerswonders.com/produ...bn-wheel-combo

If I were to decide to use hand planes, and did not have my CBN wheels, I would probably use these from LeeValley tools:
      lapping plate: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...e?item=05M2012
      sharpening guide: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...e?item=05M0940

I have and use the lapping plate with four 3 inch wide strips of various grits (micro grits for me) of PSA backed sandpaper. I use this for honing all the time, and bought the lapping plate about 20 years ago. Very handy.
      Currently they have only 1 version of PSA sandpaper for lapping, a .5 micron. They used to have several and I still have a sheet each of the earlier versions.
      Amazon has the lapping PSA SP here https://www.amazon.com/3M-TM-Microfi...ps%2C88&sr=8-5
      and here: https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Sens...ps%2C88&sr=8-7

BTW Loring, the CBN wheels are available for the Work Sharp here: https://woodturnerswonders.com/produ...sharp-set-of-3
      Expensive but effective.
      Last edited by leehljp; 05-03-2022, 07:38 AM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Well as those familiar with my setup now my setup no I already have the Wolverine jig set up for sharpening my turning tools.. I was wanting to add the grind and home if the grind and hold has a means of maximize maximizing the use of the thing however however it is stupid expensive for what it does. Honestly it shouldn't cost more than $75.00 assuming usa made.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
          leehljp commented
          Editing a comment
          If you want a cheap one that slides, side to side, here is one that has some good reviews: https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Re...ps%2C90&sr=8-3

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          That is all I am trying to do is hold a bevel and be able to keep the angle and distance steady as I move side to side. No CBN wheels at this time, but the white I think Aluminum oxide wheels (Norton). The wolverine jig has been great up to the point of needing to clean up nicks in chisels. Works flawlessly on my turning tools...
      • dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

mpc my current chisels are more or less junk anyway. I think a clamping jig to silde along the platform might just be the budget friendly answer...

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

So the issue I have with the Wolverine platform is how deep it is front to back. Simply put, if the blade is touching the wheel, the handle is pushed up on the platform. HOWEVER, looking at mpc posted pic of that jig. I am thinking of a jig that has a long bottom section, made of 3/4 ply to get the height, AND to get the thickness to push off of the platform, Cut a U notch into it for the chisel handle, and THEN a hangover hook of sorts to slide along the platform. Maybe a hook on the inside on one side to insure the blade is held in square as well... Time to go to the BORG for some 1/4" carriage bolts and some wing nuts...

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Saving myself some labor and ordered the Peachtree jig on Amazon. They should sell the one that fits the Wolverine base as a separate accessory for those that have the Wolverine setup... this will work though.

Comment

• leehljp
              leehljp commented
              Editing a comment
              Which one did you order?
          • dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

The one you suggested https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Re...ps%2C90&sr=8-3

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I did buy that one in addition to the full set because I have two grinders. It works fine if I let it do the work instead of forcing the grind.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                commented
                Editing a comment
                I have the Wolverine jig with the VariGrind and Skew attachment that I use with my Ryobi 8" bench grinder / Norton oxide wheels. A bit fast, but dunk, hone, dunk hone is my method and so far so good. That is until I needed to re-establish the bevel on a chisel that had chipped out. I got it sorted out manually but it was a LOT of work, and at that point decided I HATED the Wolverine platform. I could manually make a jig to use the Wolverine platform, buy a Grind N Hone for stupid money for what it is and does, buy the Peachtree kit that is like a wolverine that has the platform you linked, and end up with a spare Wolverine jig, OR buy this platform / jig. I opted for this. I wish the jig set that is like the wolverine sold just the platform side and associated jigs / clamps separate for a reasonable price. I would have totally gone that way instead and may at some point in the future try to bribe a welder friend of mine into fabbing up and attachment plate using a Wolverine size square bar... Big trick is to make it level...

Another options is, get the Wen sharpening system / Tormek clone for cheap money, which will handle chisels and such, and get the turning tools jigs for the Tormek that allegedly work with the Wen. I might still do this and sell off the Wolverine setup. I kind of would like to return the Ryobi to the OE wheels which I still have, and use it for coarser metal grinding for automotive work, sharpening lawn mower blades etc...
                Last edited by dbhost; 05-06-2022, 09:09 PM.
            Working...