• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

How good is good enough

I just finished my outfeed table and refurbishing my wide table which meant moving the rails which meant realigning the TS/LS fence. I aligned it to the miter slot on the saw, and then thought to myself. "Self, I wonder if the miter slots are still aligned?" After a couple of moves one to storage and then to the new shop, my miter slot is alignment is off by .2mm from the font of the blade to the back of the blade. This is about 8/1000 of an inch.

How close is close enough?

Chr's
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Seems pretty reasonable to me.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Oh no, I want to see you try to successfully adjust .2 mm and hold it while you tighten bolts to hold it. Yeah, .2 mm is good enough for me. You can probably sand that dimension easily.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Thanks guys, sometimes I go a bit overboard
        Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

In situations like this (is it good enough) I tend to think; Its not perfect but it will have to do, later I will correct the .2mm.
          Stating that something is "good enough" says that it could be better, but I will settle for less.
          "Good enough" is settling for something less than the best, or perfect. Accepting it but not liking it is "having an attitude"!

Go fix the .2mm!

I have long adhered to Robert Browings quote: "Ah but a man's reach should exceed his grasp!" I can't seem to let go of that! That made me obsessive compulsive some 60 years ago!
          Last edited by leehljp; 04-17-2022, 04:42 PM.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• twistsol
            twistsol commented
            Editing a comment
            Ugghhhhhh!
        • capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Perfect? I think you are measuring the wrong thing! Make a couple of cuts and measure them.

Comment

• capncarl
            capncarl commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m thinking that cutting with a BT saw where the blade and sliding miter table are not perfectly aligned would give you a relatively square cut but would have a slightly cove face. The cove would be difficult to measure.
        • capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

A lot of woodworkers spend more time fretting with their tools than they do using them, it’s like that is their hobby. Others I know use their tools to make things with, those I can’t ever remember them fussing over accuracy!

Comment

• leehljp
            leehljp commented
            Editing a comment
            I fuss over the accuracy that I cannot obtain!
        • dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

IF you decide to try to adjust that .008" out of it, PLEASE keep children that learn new words far away, and video record it for posterity, and of course share it with us for our twisted sense of humor... I suspect the process would stop being funny after about the third hour of futzing with it...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Something that I vaguely remember about my ownership of a Craftsman BT saw was that you could make identical repetitive cuts using the sliding miter table and get different results when comparing each board. It was extremely sensitive with the way you pushed and held the board. None of the variations made a hill of beans when assembling the project, but in the eyes of the craftsman it was bad accuracy.

Comment

Working...