Ryobi 18V 4Ah battery light test button not working.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Ryobi 18V 4Ah battery light test button not working.

One of my Ryobi 18V 4Ah batteries with the 4 lights that show its amount of charge - the lights don't light up when I push the green button. The battery charges on the charger, and shows (glows) green when full - when I take the battery out of the charger and re-insert it. It glows and shows full. But if I push the button to check the amount of charge, the little green button does not work. It is charged, it does work in different tools.

I have six 4Ah batteries ranging in age from 10 years old to 2 years old. And four 2Ah batteries. This is the first time I have seen this.

Anyone know why the green button that lights up the 4 lights doesn't work? Had it happen to you?

Just curious.
    Last edited by leehljp; 02-13-2022, 06:44 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Not had this issue, but I would speculate that the button contact to the circuit board has failed. Since it takes a charge and runs tools, the problem is likely just the button. When the One+ LiOn packs first came out, the local battery shop that I had used in the past to rebuild my NiCad packs wouldn't touch the LiOn packs because of the electronics in them. Now they do rebuild them, so a learning curve or supply issue has been resolved.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

At least the battery is working and the lights glow for a few seconds when I put them in the charger.
      Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

If the lights work otherwise triggered, then the button has gone bad.
        Buttons are mechanical. Try some tuner/contact cleaner. or even WD40 sprayed into the switch. Or take it apart and clean it. Or just do without.
        Won't affect operation or capacity.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

The green button for checking the charge is working this afternoon. I think I know what happened. I was helping in the building of a church; the building is framed, wired and walled/sheetrocked, but the electricity has not been hooked up yet. I carried my light outside that had the battery in question - in it. I set the light down on a box and went back inside for about 30 minutes to help someone who asked for some help. In those thirty minutes we had some dense snow flurries but not rain, and it had quit by the time we were finished. The snow also melted as soon as it hit the ground. I am thinking some snow hit it, melted and got into the button. It is working now.
          Last edited by leehljp; 02-14-2022, 09:10 PM.
          Hank Lee

Comment

Working...