• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Bandsaw Low rip fence Fasttrak

For more than 15 years I've had this Fasttrak bandsaw fence system on my 12" Delta bandsaw.

I've always used a homemade low rip fence for short and narrow rips because the various parts of the upper blade guide mechanism stuck out to the left side limiting how close you could move the 2-1/2" fence to the blade with an acceptable blade guide height.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=826885&d=1619197646.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.6 KB ID:	847150

Now after all these years I have suddenly discovered that the Fasttrak fence I have had all along is reversible to a low profile fence.

Normal:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1060591.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.9 KB ID:	847151

Low profile:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1060593.JPG Views:	0 Size:	125.6 KB ID:	847152

FasTTrak was Mark Duginski's outfit selling bandsaw fences. He didn't have the greatest instructions (none, I think) But He eventually retired and sold his stuff to Kreg in 2007 apparently. They still sell a version of his fence and micropositioner.

Anybody here have a Duginski FasTTrak product?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-06-2022, 11:17 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Good catch!

I've not seen the FastTrack before, but heard of them.

FWIW, as you may recollect, I have the Craftsman Universal bandsaw fence, which honestly is a steaming pile of fertilizer in that it flexes WAY too much to be useful. The trailing end of the fence can defelct as much as 1.5" in use.

Thus it is pointless.

I manage by setting the fence at the front end, and then blocking the back of the trailing end with a C clamp so that it cannot move.

I have been looking for a replacement / upgrade fence for my bandsaw, and am not really sure what wil fit, and work well...

How is that FastTrak and do you think Kreg kept hte quality on them up?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha, low ranking good catch since it took 15 years.

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      Much better late than never right?
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I have that fence on my miter gauge. It used to be available with the WoodHaven miter gauge 20-25 years ago, but now the extruded aluminum fence is different on their miter gauges.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
      Good catch!

I've not seen the FastTrack before, but heard of them.

FWIW, as you may recollect, I have the Craftsman Universal bandsaw fence, which honestly is a steaming pile of fertilizer in that it flexes WAY too much to be useful. The trailing end of the fence can defelct as much as 1.5" in use.

Thus it is pointless.

I manage by setting the fence at the front end, and then blocking the back of the trailing end with a C clamp so that it cannot move.

I have been looking for a replacement / upgrade fence for my bandsaw, and am not really sure what wil fit, and work well...

How is that FastTrak and do you think Kreg kept hte quality on them up?
      https://www.amazon.com/KREG-KMS7200-...s%2C130&sr=1-1

Mine's pretty solid, at least, I've never had an issue with the back flexing even though its only got a front rail. Woodhaven has one that has a back rail.

Would have been a better catch 15 years ago... but my alternate was workable. Just didn't really need it.

Kreg stuff is always well made and finished. Gonna be blue, though!
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-06-2022, 09:02 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN

https://www.amazon.com/KREG-KMS7200-...s%2C130&sr=1-1

Mine's pretty solid, at least, I've never had an issue with the back flexing even though its only got a front rail. Woodhaven has one that has a back rail.

Would have been a better catch 15 years ago... but my alternate was workable. Just didn't really need it.

Kreg stuff is always well made and finished. Gonna be blue, though!
        Not worried about it being anodized blue. If anything folks will think it matches my Rockler T Track... I am more concerned with...

Does it fit?
        Is it solid?
        Can I attach an accessory tall fence face to it for resawing?
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes you can attach a conventional tall fence to it like my BT3000 tall rip fence. They also have resaw curved fences that have tall fence with a gentle curve for maintaining a resaw thickness while accommodating bandsaw drift. See my next reply (#8 in this thread).

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm going to wait a little while before I do the upgrade I think, mostly a budget issue now. But familiar with those resaw, uh, bumps. Honestly never had blade drift with a wide blade bad enough that I would consider using one. The Crapsman fence came with one, I have it around somewhere still.

Honestly if the Craftsman fence would stay square instead of deflecting, honestly the lock down mechanism to the fence / rail just stinks design wise, I would stick with it.

A quick clamp on the table against the back side keeps it from deflecting just fine so it's not a super pressing issue right now. But it IS something i want to upgrade at some point...
      • duramen
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2022

I have a Kreg bandsaw fence on a very old Delta bandsaw. I have used it for several years. It looks very much like the Fasttrak fence pictured above. The Kreg bandsaw fence is blue and has a single T-Track on top. The Fasttrack fence has two T-tracks on top. It is obvious that the two fences have the same design roots.

The Kreg fence is solid. It was easy to install on my bandsaw. The bolts matched the threaded holes in the Delta bandsaw table without modification. The fence was easy to align, although a couple of adjuster screws are at their limits. At first, I disliked the micro-adjuster and did not use it. It is difficult to turn when its foot is locked down as needed. I kept at it, and now I like and use it, although it is still hard to turn.

I have not built a tall auxiliary fence for it out of laziness. I have resawn tall boards using only the "tall" (2-3/4 inch) flat face and got away with it. "Tall boards" means 8, 9, 10 inch boards - close to the resaw limit on my bandsaw. I have not used the curved resaw guides much. The bandsaw cuts straight with the plain fence; there is no perceivable drift.

It would be easy to build a tall auxiliary fence for it. I can think of many different designs. Speaking for myself, I would use nuts in the fence T-track, with bolts cut or ground to fit without protruding through and damaging the fence. The bolt heads and wide washers would be recessed into the thick auxiliary fence using Forstner-bit drilled holes wide enough to leave space for a socket to tighten it. The auxiliary fence itself would be a flat board of 3/4 inch plywood or MDF.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by duramen
          It would be easy to build a tall auxiliary fence for it. I can think of many different designs. Speaking for myself, I would use nuts in the fence T-track, with bolts cut or ground to fit without protruding through and damaging the fence. The bolt heads and wide washers would be recessed into the thick auxiliary fence using Forstner-bit drilled holes wide enough to leave space for a socket to tighten it. The auxiliary fence itself would be a flat board of 3/4 inch plywood or MDF.
          Duramen. Look at my post

https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...g-fence-clamps

for a nice way to make a tall fence using Rockler Fence clamps. I originally did it the way you suggested (you can even see the old recessed forstner holes for the holding fastners). But the fence clamp makes it unnecessary to have carefully trimmed bolt lengths.

And you are right, besides being blue, the Kreg version of the Fasttrak BS fence has a single track on the short top as opposed to the original Duginski Fasttrak which had a double track on the somewhat wider top.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-08-2022, 03:00 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

They also have these resaw fences at Kreg, just recolored from Fasttrak. I have the 4.5" one in clear anodize, but can't say I've used it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Kreg BS resaw.JPG Views:	0 Size:	19.2 KB ID:	847249
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...