• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Craftsman C3 tools

when I got (actually my third set) of drill driver I decided to go with Craftsman C3 system (back in the heyday of Craftsman) based on the extensive line and the likelihood of long term support and aftermarket stuff being available.
    I got the 19.2 V NiCd drill driver and impact driver kit.
    Eventually They made a lithium 19.2 V battery and universal chargers for C3 And I got a light and a right angle drill. 2 chargers and at least three Lithium packs that hold charge for weeks.
    I recently got a used drill driver from eBay to keep next to the workbench. And then I remembered that my SIL had some C3 stuff, I asked him if he still had it and whether it worked, he said the batteries died and didn't know where the charger and packs were but he gave me a drill driver and a right angle drill. AT first the drill didn't work but after messing with the switch for a while it started working reliably and both work. I bought another aftermarket lithium pack for $16 on eBay that works.
    so now I have
    2 dual speed drill drivers with 3/8 chuck same model
    1 dual speed drill driver with 1/2 inch chuck, different model number but identical save for the chuck
    2 RA drills
    1 impact driver
    1 light
    2 chargers 4 battery packs.

Actually I have been pretty happy for 20 years or so the C3 system was a good choice for longevity with upgrades and wide popularity being in its favor.
    I am sure Ryobi made it for Sears with the Craftsman branding.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Loring, I've been using the same (C3 19.2v) system for nearly as long. I had about 90% of the complete line as of a couple years ago, ncluding the garden tools; the last tool purchased being the cordless brad nailer. Trim saw, circ saw, recip saw, miter saw, router, drills, drivers, lights, radios, etc. I have had dependable performance from all of them, only the cordless hedge trimmer died on me. I replaced my NiCads with 5 LiIon battery packs which are still going strong today. And agree, pretty sure they were Ryobi rebranded as Craftsman. Just wish the batteries were interchangable.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
      ... Just wish the batteries were interchangable.
      Huh? What?

Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Interchangeable = use the Ryobi batteries in the C3 tools.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Maybe a little Dremel work? I've never compared them side by side. Same voltage? Same no. of contacts? Same positions for same functions? Overall close? Maybe just a little feature here or there prevents them from mating...

Ryobi One+ is advertised as an 18V system, C3 is listed as 19.2V But its close enough, in reality Lithium cells are 3.7V which 5 cells is 18.5 volts. 19.2 and 18 are both multiples of 1.2 volts (NiMh) in 15 and 16 cells which is probably the original rating. Close enough for motors to work well.

The retaining latch bears a remarkable similarity. Roughly in the same place. Same designers...

But the mating stalk with the plugs and contacts... Not going to be interchangeable with any simple mods.

Click image for larger version  Name:	battery pack Ryobi vs C3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.8 KB ID:	847005
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-01-2022, 03:40 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

P.S. 2024
            C3 aftermarket Lithium battery packs seems to be widely available at reasonable prices in 2 sizes (capacity) from eBay and Amazon, but my Lithium packs have been holding up pretty well. Affirming the longevity aspect of Craftsman C3 line.
            The rubber coating seems to be showing a little wear on some of them.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...