Do you mark your work? If so, with what?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Do you mark your work? If so, with what?

I have been itching since I started setting up my shop and making various projects, to get a makers mark. I've looked at various options, and with gifting occasions upon us, it appears I have been granted that opportunity. However it is an ink stamp makers mark.

A family member apparently took my workshop logo from my blog page, and had an Etsy maker make a rubber stamp for me. Just got the shipping notification.

Mind you, some of my favorite MFGs that work with wood products use rubber stamping on their products. Like Fender Musical Instruments, etc....

I am planning on using a combination of the ink stamp, and sharpie to mark and date a project, and then clear coat over it to protect the mark.

I literally have waited off of signing / dating a good number of projects as I REALLY wanted this makers mark..

So, do you mark your projects, and if so, how?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Up until about ten years ago, would carve my initials & the year of the build into the back or bottom with a 1/8" ball burr in a Dremel. Then I would fill the carving with wood filler, sand flush and then it got finished with the rest of the piece. Now I print a small label on the PC. I then coat the label on both sides with wiping varnish to seal the ink and plastize the label. This makes the label translucent. To make it opaque, spray the back of the label with white paint. Once cut to size, I glue the label to the inside, back, or bottom of the piece. Then it gets finished over with the rest of the piece. The finished label has an antique look to it from the varnish.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20211229_143552.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	846953
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20211229_143514.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.4 KB ID:	846951

Name:	20210226_151637.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	846952
    Last edited by Jim Frye; 12-29-2021, 02:49 PM. Reason: Added pictures
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

In the past on my larger items such as book cases, tables, hutches, I would write my name, date and location with a carpenters pencil on the bottom of a table, bottom and top of book cases and hutches. But NOW, I have a branding iron. My daughter asked me to bring it and stamp/brand the things I have made for her. I also added where the board/lumber came from (whose house/office) in special situations. That makes for special memories.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have posted about my iron a few times. I think this was the most recent/comprehensive discussion.

Hank remarked on my branding iron. I've had it for years, Got it from Rockler, its the electric one, at one time they sold one that was heated with a torch. It certainly makes a distinctive addition to any piece. My comments on using it: It takes about 15 minutes to warm up to a good temperature. A long time for an

Name:	fetch?id=840124&d=1620234170.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	846961
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I sign and write the wood type on the bottom of each of my Tiny Trees, Tables and Mushrooms with a white Jelly Roll pen. Usually I have to scrub the area to be signed with steel wool,, then a quick squirt of Shelac followed by another scrubbing with steel wool, then sign.

Comment

Working...