Should I remove the front rails from my Unisaw before rolling it ouf the 'shop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Should I remove the front rails from my Unisaw before rolling it ouf the 'shop?

I need to clean up and clear out my garage - its getting Epoxy treated.

The plan is to move everything over to a covered patio, and if need be into the house, seeing that it's just for a day or two, and that I'll be alone at home for a few days.
    (that reminds me - I need a ramp to enable rolling up the 6 inch step at the patio. wonder if a plank of ply would do...)

Among other things, the table saw (a Unisaw) needs to be rolled out. It rests on a mobile stand. I have detached the extension and the cutoff table. But its front guide-rail is pretty long and liable to get dinged. Is it okay to remove the rail? As in, I should not have any trouble putting it back, would I? Looks like I'll need to pop the end-cap off, loosen a couple of nuts and slide out the rail, though not sure how easy it will be to reach those nuts - have not tried yet.

To add - am going to add these castors to my workbench to make it mobile. Not sure how heavy my workbench is - hopefully within 600lbs.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

My experience with large items and moving is: If I don't take it apart, I regret it! If I do take it apart, nothing goes wrong except having to put it back together and getting it back into perfect alignment! Murphy is there either way!

Seriously though, in the past, I usually regretted not erring on the side of caution. When I was younger, I took more chances, now I do more planning.

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

That's an excellent point, Hank. Taking it out and putting it back on is a hassle, but it's regular hassle. Trying to fix something broken or bent is an entirely different type of hassle.

I will take the rails out. I'm sure I am overthinking this.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I don’t think I would remove the rails because they add strength to the cast iron wings. The wings are just butted up against the adjoining wing and bolted together. While this is really strong, if for some reason you tipped the saw over the added strength of the 2 large pieces of angle iron (rails) might keep from snapping off the cast pieces.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          atgcpaul commented
          Editing a comment
          At least on my Grizzly, the rails were pretty easy to install and remove. However, I'd leave them on, too, for the reason mentioned above. The long rails also give you some extra leverage.
      • radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by capncarl
        I don’t think I would remove the rails because they add strength to the cast iron wings. The wings are just butted up against the adjoining wing and bolted together. While this is really strong, if for some reason you tipped the saw over the added strength of the 2 large pieces of angle iron (rails) might keep from snapping off the cast pieces.
        That's good piece of advice, cap, that I did not read before I removed the rail! It was pretty easy to remove, and made moving the saw much simpler.

But after reading your comment I went back and checked the saw sitting on my patio, and you are right, the rail definitely provided much needed added support to the wings on both side. Now that its already out, I just will be extra careful of this when I have to move the saw back tomorrow.
        - Aristotle

Comment

Working...