• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

HD raising prices...

Today, I noticed that HD raised prices on a lot of tools I follow (like Ryobi). Percentage seems to be 9+% up. I'm guessing it's shipping cost related like so many other products.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I have been seeing prices go up also - on so many things. Inflation is here and still coming on. I am sure Mark can add to this part, but I have been hearing that shipping is a big reason. Fuel costs are high, high high. I have thought about a good used pickup with Diesel engine but diesel fuel has stayed high even when gas prices decreased.

When we stop to think about it - robotics cost, but in the long run cut down on needed man power needed. Trucking takes man power to move; regulations require only so many hours behind the wheel, therefore requiring two qualified drivers in the cab for long hauls; the more humans involved, the higher the prices. That goes without saying.

I am seeing a slow but steady increase at HF too.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I added a Ryobi 40 volt blower to my tools last week when my old 2 cycle MTD died. The price for it on ryobitools.com was about 7% less than what it was when I got to homdepot.com. The three port 40v charger at HD was $99 when I looked at it on Monday and $119 when I ordered it last night. That's a 20% increase.

The percentages of the Festool annual price change aren't as bad but they hurt more. When I bought my first Festool, the Kapex was $1200. It is $1500 now, and increase of 25% but that has been over a span of 13 years.
      Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Everythings going up right now. Food prices are skyrocketing the last 2 months with all our favorite restaurants raising prices 10-20%. Any more discussion of the reasons may violate the rules of the forum.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black walnut
          Administrator
          • Aug 2015
          • BT3K

Hank is correct. Freight rates are going up. There is a shortage of trucks and drivers which is in part fueling the increases. Driver wages are finally getting where they should be, at least in my area. In the middle of August I returned to dispatch. I work in international trade, container load import and export. The inefficiency of the ports, caused by a backlog of ships waiting at anchor is increasing costs across the board. Loring is right in that this conversation could quickly turn political. I think we can avoid that by just focusing on the facts and not try to discern blame.

As far as prices look how much lumber has gone up. It is crazy what they ask for building materials. I am so glad I did some major projects before the increases happened.
          just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

We went on vacation back to the US (started in Dallas and drove west to San Diego) and everything seemed very expensive to us. I mean, you can't compare to Central American prices, but compared to Washington DC prices a year ago, things just seemed a lot more than we were used to.

We were closing on an equipment deal for my DC lab back in April. The European based vendor said all their prices were going to go up 10% May 1 (so get your order in now) because of the cost of sheet metal.

Comment

• nicer20
              Established Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Dublin, CA
              • BT3100

There is also supply chain issues including components. Shortages are prompting vendors to raise prices if we ask for earlier delivery. There is only so much we can absorb with a hit on margins. Rest will have to be passed onto the customer.

This is bad !!

NG

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I honestly hadn't paid much attention to HD tool prices since they stopped selling the Ryobi 12" drill press. I missed the clearance on that and have been kicking myself in the tail ever since....

Where HDs prices going up is hurting me right now is lumber costs. I am ready to tackle my lathe storage bench that will rely on a good amount of 2x4 and 4x4 stock. The idea will be an M&T base using 4x4 legs. A glue up of 2x4s for the top, A ballas compartment at the bottom that is filled with QuickCrete, I have a stack of pull out drawers from Hurricane Harvey that will be used to hold my turning tools and misc.

The days of $1.99 2x4s that are straight and clear appear to be long gone now. and I need probably 20 of them to get the job done. Currently a jaw dropping $429.99

The only woodworking tool that seems to be within reasonable, what I bought it for range still seems to be the 2HP dust collector at $229.99, still about 25% more than it used to go for, but within a reasonable range for many...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  LCHIEN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hand-picked three stud grade 2x4x8 whitewood lumber for $4.25 yesterday at HD. I ripped them, because I needed 2x2 and they cost $3.50 each.
              • LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

OK, many of the reasons for price rises are, or are being blamed on geopolitical processes and events and policies. I can see that this thread can go political very quickly so I will warn that the policy here is no political comments or discussions and the thread will be closed and offending posts deleted. Please think before you post.

I will agree that recent price indexes are going up rapidly for many things - food, gasoline, natural gas, fuel, etc.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...