Clear All
  • nicer20
    Established Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Dublin, CA
    • BT3100

Ryobi Router R165

Hello,

I have picked up a used Ryobi R165 (1 3/4 HP) router. The router is in good working condition. Unfortunately, it is missing the base plate.

So I am trying to find a way to trace the mounting hole patterns to mount it to a table. My search on the internet hasn't been successful.

I am wondering if anyone has this router and can send me a dimensional drawing showing the mounting hole positions.

Another option - since the BT3K accessory kit had a router mounting plate and both are made by Ryobi I wonder if the hole pattern might match the R165. So if someone with a plate can send me dimensions from that plate that is fine too.

Thanks in advance.

NG
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Look at the attached files see if they are of help

and http://powertool.manualsonline.com/m...50301.html?p=9
    which appears to be the adapter plate for the BT3x00 series.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-26-2021, 03:37 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Maybe the best method is tape a piece of paper to the bottom and do a pencil rubbing,
      Or put it on a copier or scanner and make a 1:1 image; the scanner is usually capable of accurate 1:1 scans and printing with a good printer.
      reverse it if you need to in image processing software like MS PAINT or MS PHOTOS
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• nicer20
        Established Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Dublin, CA
        • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Maybe the best method is tape a piece of paper to the bottom and do a pencil rubbing,
        Or put it on a copier or scanner and make a 1:1 image; the scanner is usually capable of accurate 1:1 scans and printing with a good printer.
        reverse it if you need to in image processing software like MS PAINT or MS PHOTOS
        Thanks LCHIEN : I will try the scanner idea. I tried using the paper but I guess I was sloppy. And I did not have the drill press back then. I now do so it might make the drilling more accurate.

NG

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I don't know your level of experience and don't mean to offend with this note, but in case you don't know this - when you mark the spot to drill with a marker or scribe, get a punch with a point - and mark the exact center with a good dimple to start the drilling. It sure does help start the drill bit in the right place. I have long known this, but sometimes get in a big hurry, and then regret not taking an extra 10 minutes to find my punch!
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• nicer20
            nicer20 commented
            Editing a comment
            No offense at all. I am learning so much from you all - I am indebted for ever.
        • capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

If you are trying to transfer the locations of threaded holes on the base of the router you can use threaded transfer screws for a precise location without having to use paper transfers. They are easy to make and are useful later. Google threaded transfer screws. Make enough transfer screws to locate every location at one time.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Threaded transfer screws! Cool!
            Didn't know that such a thing existed although it makes sense. Learn something new all the time.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	transfer screws.JPG Views:	0 Size:	11.9 KB ID:	845034

Actually, if the screw hole is open all the way through the base, you can just use a set screw of the correct thread size and thread it through with an allen key until the tip protrudes and then use it to mark the location on a workpiece. Don't need the specialized transfer set.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-27-2021, 11:18 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by nicer20
              Hello,

I have picked up a used Ryobi R165 (1 3/4 HP) router. The router is in good working condition. Unfortunately, it is missing the base plate.

So I am trying to find a way to trace the mounting hole patterns to mount it to a table. My search on the internet hasn't been successful.

I am wondering if anyone has this router and can send me a dimensional drawing showing the mounting hole positions.

Another option - since the BT3K accessory kit had a router mounting plate and both are made by Ryobi I wonder if the hole pattern might match the R165. So if someone with a plate can send me dimensions from that plate that is fine too.

Thanks in advance.

NG
              Is the router elevation working OK? A lot of those old Ryobi routers, forgot the series, had a problem with the plastic body swelling over time and or the aluminum threaded base oxidizing and growing and jamming in the base raising mechanism.

This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Another option is a universal router baseplate
                https://www.amazon.com/DCT-Universal...dDbGljaz10cnVl
                Click image for larger version  Name:	61JmRer-EHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.9 KB ID:	845052
                • USE YOUR ROUTER: Compatible router model numbers included Porter-Cable (690 series, 7529, 8529); Ryobi (Most models); Bosch (1615, 1617, 1618); Makita (Most models); Sears (315 275 000, 315 175 040, 315 175 050, 315 175 060, 315 175 070, 315 275 100, 315 275 110); Fein (FT 1800); Milwaukee (5615, 5616, 5619); Freud (FT2000E); Hitachi – (M8V, TR12, M12V); Elu (177); Dewalt (621, 625, 616 series, 618 series)

not the only one but found in a quick search...

either to get a baseplate or to use as a template if you don't like doing the measurement transfer work.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-28-2021, 01:22 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• mpc
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Cypress, CA, USA.
                  • BT3000 orig 13amp model

An advantage to a purchased base plate like the one Loring posted is that the center opening is designed to accept standard router bit bushings. Look closely at the base in his link and you will see the bit opening has a shallow rabbet around it. This rabbet, and the diameter of the opening, match the Porter Cable (aka "PC") compatible bushing kits built/sold by several companies. PC sized bushings are the most commonly used/available bushing kits in the US. Bosch routers use their own size and mounting style bushing kits... and they ended up making an adapter to accept the PC style ones as those are more-or-less the standard. So did Makita.

Notice that kit includes an odd looking brass component. That lets you perfectly center a bushing to your router collet. Basically you install the centering guide (it has a 1/4 inch shank) into the router collet and use the cone shaped end to center the bushing. Just adjust your router up/down on the base until the bushing internal diameter mates with the cone, then tighten the bushing's lock collar. Replace the centering device with your router bit and you'll know it'll be centered in the bushing opening. The bushing lets you follow templates similar to a bearing guided router bit.

mpc

Comment

• nicer20
                    nicer20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh great. Thanks for that procedure - I think I understand how to use it. So this plate might be actually quite useful -
                    a. as a regular baseplate for use with guide bushings
                    and b. as a template for future measurements.

Looking at the diagram it appears I might have to drill some holes in it though but that might be easier given the transparency.

Thanks a bunch
                • capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

As mpc stated, the purchased base plate allows you to perfectly center the router and router collet. If your collet is not perfectly centered problems will show up with items you make with the router set up. When you follow a curve with a bushing not centered the curve will be out of whack.

Comment

• nicer20
                    nicer20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks a lot !!
                • nicer20
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2007
                  • Dublin, CA
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN

Is the router elevation working OK? A lot of those old Ryobi routers, forgot the series, had a problem with the plastic body swelling over time and or the aluminum threaded base oxidizing and growing and jamming in the base raising mechanism.

This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

https://www.routerforums.com/threads...t-stuck.26505/
                  I haven't noticed any problem in raising or lowering the body. Please note my model (R165) is a fixed base router which requires me to release a very basic locking lever and rotating a large plastic body nut to raise or lower.

Now frankly speaking I haven't yet figured out how to use that micro-adjustment plastic dial to my advantage. I am simply using test passes to make those adjustments. Given that I don't have any base plate, anyways it is tough to measure the bit protrusion below the base reference.

I will take a look at that other Amazon link you sent. Thanks a bunch for that.

NG

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I'm a bit late here, but hopefully this might help. I had a Ryobi router table that came with a router, but I don't remember the model number. I believe it was an R161 or R165. I just gave that away a few months ago. Looking through my accessory draw this evening, I found a couple of templates, one marked 'fix base' and the other "plunge base'. I think they came with some optional baseplates that I purchased years ago from Ridgid or Ryobi.

In any case, they may be worthless but I thought I'd scan one in and provide it too you just in case it is helpful. Make sure you set your printer for 100%, no reduction! Do not select the "fit to page" option. I included a six-inch scale in the scan. The template diameter measures 6-7/16". I've attached both the PDF file and the JPEG. I printed both on my laser printer at 100% and the match the original template.

Hope this is helpful,

CWS

Click image for larger version

Name:	Router base template.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	845121

Router base template.pdf
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• nicer20
                      nicer20 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's great. I will print this asap and check. Thanks again for providing. Will let you know how it goes.

NG
                  • LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

If the router body sticks in the base don't try and use petroleum based lubricants, makes the plastic body swell and gets even worse.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-02-2021, 01:58 PM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

I have the 3-base Ryobi router kit that came out sometime around 2003-2005. It was a pretty decent router for me. But for whatever reason the plastic-like motor base swelled within the first year that I had it. I had contacted Ryobi customer service and they denied having any complaints whatsoever and I referred them to both this site as well as the Ridgid tool forum. On a follow up call they sent me a new housing and it was worse than the one I had. I took measurement and called them again as it clearly showed the housing wouldn't begin to fit any of the bases. They couldn't help me and I was told the product was being discontinued. It's a shame when you have a decent product and can't support it because of poor component manufacturing. I think they should have recalled them and issued all the buyers a refund.

CWS
                      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...