• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Don't be stupid - check for nails.

I had some pieces of hardwood lumber from Lumber Liquidators from some time back. Very dirty with weathering and even some water marks but quite dried out. Looked OK. Chose a piece to use and ripped it some.
    Then put it on the jointer to clean up one side. Wham! A hidden nail took out 1/4" of my jointer blades.

Here's what it looked like after the accident...

Click image for larger version  Name:	P8240407.JPG Views:	0 Size:	169.6 KB ID:	844994

I checked the other rips with a metal detector wand (which I stupidly failed to use prior) and found this on another piece

Click image for larger version  Name:	P8240408.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.5 KB ID:	844993
    I can see why I missed it visually. Could have wiped out my table saw blade as well.

Don't be stupid, Don't be lazy. check all used and scrap lumber for nails with a metal detector before using your expensive tools.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-25-2021, 04:06 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Ohh, that hurts! you are right. I have a metal detector and was looking at it a few days ago - in the house. I need to put it out in my shop so that I can use it.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

That nail was completely buried and invisible?

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        That nail was completely buried and invisible?
        I did a visual but the board was quite dirty. There was a couple of visible holes where a nail had been obviously pulled. The second picture in the original post shows a second nail I found after planing thru the first one, this time looking with a metal detector and found it and it was pretty much hidden and not obvious; the color was dirty brown the same as the wood.
        I don't know exactly how buried the nail I hit was, it was too late after I found it, no before picture. I have this imagination that maybe it was buried but in reality it was probably not, but just hard to see. Probably looked like the second nail picture.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-27-2022, 04:05 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I’d sure hate to hit a nail with my new shelix head in a Dewalt 735. Several months ago I picked up a number of old pine barnwood true 2x4 and 2x6 to build a batch of my Tiny Tables. Using the metal detector with the boards set on plastic 5 gallon buckets revealed hidden nails in 4 out of 10 boards that were rusted off to the point that they couldn’t be removed. Those boards will only be used for shelving.

Comment

• nicer20
            Established Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Dublin, CA
            • BT3100

On a related note, I have found some red oak boards which are in great shape except for some nail gun nails. I tried to remove them but they are quite well nailed.

What is the best way to get them out? just drill them or just cut the boards to remove the nailed portions?

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by nicer20
              On a related note, I have found some red oak boards which are in great shape except for some nail gun nails. I tried to remove them but they are quite well nailed.

What is the best way to get them out? just drill them or just cut the boards to remove the nailed portions?
              Cut around them and toss that piece. For Brads, you can sometimes drive them through and yank them out easier than pulling them, not possible with big heads. Or, use a plug cutter to cut around it and either cut through the board or break off the stub and pull the remnants then plug it with a dowel or plug cut from somewhere else.; either contrasting or matching.

Click image for larger version  Name:	60613_W3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.4 KB ID:	845016
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I've got a method on reclaiming lumber. For example knocking down pallets...
              1. Use the pallet buster, or whatever appropriate tool, to separate assembly into constituent boards. Since we are using a pallet as an example use my pallet buster.
              2. Remove any and all visibule hardware by whatever means necessary. Usually a cats paw / claw hammer / nail puller will do the trick but sometimes it isn't that simple.
              3. Using my old CenTech metal detector, really looks like an overglorified stud sensor, but it is for metal. Seek out and remove any and all misc metal.
              4. Drag magnet across full surface of work piece.
              5. Clean, process, or place in my lumber inventory.
              It has NOT been a perfect system as my last 2 sets of jointer knives can attest, hence why I started out with 3 sets of spares and I am down to 1... As in how the f#$% did I miss that?

FWIW, aside from availability for mine, I'd much rather change jointer knives than planer knives. I've not done my planer yet...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I have several sets of plug cutters, none of which are up to the task of cutting around a nail buried in a piece or red oak or heart pine. They burn out quickly. There may be some quality cutters but I haven’t found one yet! Sacrificing a $25 board, cutting it into short pieces to avoid nails is still cheaper than destroying the planer blades.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

I ran upon these a couple of years ago. Not sure you want to invest in one for a few boards:

https://www.amazon.com/Air-locker-pr...003X2QM3G?th=1

Cheaper ones:
                  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NM6VAA...e-591c18c2f805

The one that I would probably buy:
                  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W3YSP95...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NM6VAA...e-591c18c2f805
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...