• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

An Odious Shop Task...

I really hate emptying the ShopVac. My vac is a 16 gallon unit with a bulbous tank that just fits in the opening of a 30 gallon trash bag and is a bulky object to handle. The vac is the shop dust and chip collector and gets connected to any cutting or sanding tool, so it gets a lot of use. After all of these years, I still can't empty the darn thing without spilling dust all over the floor. I turn the ambient air filter on high and try my best to keep things neat, but I still make a mess every time. I don't have anywhere to just dump it outside, so I save the stuff until fall when I can turn it into the garden soil with a big bag of shredded paper.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Cant you just pitch it over the fence into the neighbors yard like everyone else does?

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
      Cant you just pitch it over the fence into the neighbors yard like everyone else does?
      hahahahahahaha.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQZ3JTASXbF4Bo_2BwII_3tPdnMQI3fIGUNA&usqp=CAU.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	843923
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Get another shop vac. open up yours. put the nozzle of the new shop vac into yours and suck it all out.
        Then put it back in the box and return the new shop vac to the store. tell them it didn't work out.

Yeah, to be honest, I don't like emptying out the shop vacs either. I have three now. Because I don't like emptying then out. No just kidding.
        One usually plumbed to the miter saw but can be connected to the router table on one side of the shop and on the other side, one behind the drill press and bandsaw I swap over the hose when I need them. Both BS and DP plugged into the same tool trigger for the vac. And one shop vac for general cleanup.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-27-2021, 01:25 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          Get another shop vac. open up yours. put the nozzle of the new shop vac into yours and suck it all out.
          Then put it back in the box and return the new shop vac to the store. tell them it didn't work out.
          Sorta like when I took two Mobile1 jugs of drain oil to AutoZone for recycling. The clerk asked me if he could help. I told him the oil didn't work and I wanted a refund.
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• GrumpyDad
            Established Member
            • Jul 2020
            • Midwest
            • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

Izzy swan has an interesting new dust contraption
            Last edited by GrumpyDad; 04-28-2021, 10:30 PM.
            Harumpf!
            GrumpyDad

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Guy was on my front yard this morning with a surveyors theodolite (I think that is the right name) shooting the house for sale across the street, I guess doing survey prior to closing.

I asked him if he was surveying the house and he said yes. I asked him if it was where it was supposed to be and he just chuckled.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I have a cyclone and my actual shop vac is pretty clean. BUT...I hate doing the job because the vac and cyclone are behind the sander and lathe in a corner, next to the softener, behind boxes of stored blanks and parts, etc... I really need to get back there and do it soon.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  LCHIEN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Out of sight, out of mind.
              • LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

WHat I really need to clean is my HF Dust Collector with canister upgrade. I checked the amp draw and its only about 10-11. Should be closer to 14 I think which means the airflow is down. The bag is visibly about 2/3 or 3/4 full and I've only changed it once in 15 years or so. The Canister has a beater bar but I'm afraid its pretty loaded up. I'm dreading cleaning that thing.

Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Brian G
                  • Jun 2003
                  • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                  • G0899

Jim, consider getting some Type J Shop Vac bags (or equivalent brand) that sit in the tank. http://shop-vacs-com.3dcartstores.co...llon-vacs.html Menards used to carry them, but I think they are slowly transitioning away from Shop Vac.
                  Brian

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

i have an old ridgid shop vac that was designed so it cant take bags. I'm strongly considering replacing it one that i can just empty a bag and not deal with the mess.

When I use Blum undermount slides I need to plane the drawer parts down to 15-16mm. (19/32 to 5/8"). Not paying attention one day and not realizing how much wood i was actually taking off, I filled the 55 gallon drum, the cyclone itself and then chips packed the filter.

moral: empty the dust drum and clean the filter often. It took hours to clean it out and then clean up the mess afterwards.
                    Chr's

Comment

• Carlos
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I used to use the bags when I didn't have the cyclone. I do recommend them heartily. Easier cleanout, and added filtration.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Maumee, OH, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by Brian G
                        Jim, consider getting some Type J Shop Vac bags (or equivalent brand) that sit in the tank. http://shop-vacs-com.3dcartstores.co...llon-vacs.html Menards used to carry them, but I think they are slowly transitioning away from Shop Vac.
                        I have a couple of them and they have become hard to find. The last package I bought came from Menards. I use them for drywall finishing along with a CleanStream cartridge.
                        Jim Frye
                        The Nut in the Cellar.
                        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Brian G
                          • Jun 2003
                          • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                          • G0899

I didn't know this, but last September Shop Vac laid off most of its Williamsport, PA work force when a sale of the company fell through. In late December, Great Star Tools USA bought the company and production will resume. Many retailers switched sources for products. The new owners estimate that it will take 5 months (from December) to replenish stock and renew contracts with retailers.

That explains why replacement Shop Vac bags, vacs, and accessories are scarce.
                          Brian

Comment

Working...