X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Frye
    replied
    Originally posted by leehljp

Do you know IF Mobil 1 spray lube basically the same as their Mobil 1 motor oil? I keep at least a quart (10-30) of it around all the time. It may not be recommended, but I started using it in my mowers - 21 year old craftsman LT1000 42 inch and 7 year old 21inch Husqvarna. They seem to like it.
    Oh yes. I have only used Mobil1 full synthetic oils in all of my four stroke engines since 1980, string trimmers, lawn mowers, and automobiles. Not a single engine lubrication problem with any of them.

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Frye
    I never thought of WD-40 as a real lubricant. I always considered it as a penetrating moisture repellent. It was when I started cycling back in the '70s that I learned from serious riders about its lubricating properties compared to real oils. One of the best oils I ever found was Mobil1 spray lubricant. Unfortunately, it's impossible to find anymore. My '72 Raleigh only gets PTFE oil on its drive train.
    Do you know IF Mobil 1 spray lube basically the same as their Mobil 1 motor oil? I keep at least a quart (10-30) of it around all the time. It may not be recommended, but I started using it in my mowers - 21 year old craftsman LT1000 42 inch and 7 year old 21inch Husqvarna. They seem to like it.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Frye
    replied
    I never thought of WD-40 as a real lubricant. I always considered it as a penetrating moisture repellent. It was when I started cycling back in the '70s that I learned from serious riders about its lubricating properties compared to real oils. One of the best oils I ever found was Mobil1 spray lubricant. Unfortunately, it's impossible to find anymore. My '72 Raleigh only gets PTFE oil on its drive train.

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    I got my squirt oil can, a goose neck squirt 12 oz, the same brand as in Loring's post #5. I had some 20-50W synthetic oil on hand and decided to use that - until I run out of it. I used it on my lawn mower as mentioned in the OP. WOW, so much better than WD-40. Lift, blade in gear, out of gear worked so much smoother than before, even with dust flying around. Using a good oil sure helped. I am through with WD-40 as a lube.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Frye
    replied
    Quite some time ago I started using Liquid Wrench lubricants in spray cans with the "needle straws". I do have a plastic squeeze bottle with a needle spout that I keep filled with 3-in-1 PTFE lubricant.

Leave a comment:

• Carlos
    replied
    I feel that oil is like herpes in my shop. I've completely gone to dry lubes and saved myself a lot of headaches.

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    Thanks Fellows. I ordered a 12 oz Goldenrod with an 8 inch flex spout.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    If you are looking for a flexible or long neck pump oiler like the Goldenrod above, check out auto parts stores. I was directed to Napa auto by my Ace store when I needed one a few years ago and they had multiple kinds in stock. The shop smith and my RAS require old school maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Originally posted by d_meister
    Just a note about WD-40. It is the worst kind of product you can use for lubrication and protection. It evaporates and leaves the surface more vulnerable, in my experience
    My favorite spray lube for hinges and pivots has been Liqui Moly Tacky Lube Spray. It sprays into a tight area with the red nozzle as a liquid, and gels into a grease once there. My garage door hinges are 70+ years old, and have a decal that says to lube the hinges every 30 days! This stuff is perfect for such a use, and stays put where it's sprayed. Quick shot does the job.
    https://products.liqui-moly.com/tacky-lube-spray-4.html
    I second the comment on WD-40. Its has very little oil as a lubricant in it. Mostly its solvents - which works as a temporary oiling fix because it often dissolves and redistributes the original oils in a bearing or joint and allows the gelled oil to seep back into the place where its needed.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Yes, Hank, I got it "fixed" I just had to lube (using a needle oiler) and move the parts by hand to get them freed up. read the whole post.
    https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...med-oiler-pump

Here are the two oilers I use now:

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=838498&d=1580063863.jpg Views:	0 Size:	24.7 KB ID:	843772

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4170327.JPG Views:	0 Size:	174.4 KB ID:	843771
    The gooseneck (12 oz, not a pint) pumps a big squirt of oil. It leaves a oil ring on the table when I set it down... seepage? Leaking? But it is good for lubing hard to get to bearings on big machinery.
    The little bottle of liberty oil is great for precision applications - the long needle applicator and plastic squeeze bottle allow precise application of both volume and location.

Both I think I got at Amazon; the big one comes dry. the little one with oil.
    I have a can of 3-in-one oil I used to fill the gooseneck oiler and sometimes use it too. Short reach but more precise control than the gooseneck.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-17-2021, 07:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• d_meister
    replied
    Just a note about WD-40. It is the worst kind of product you can use for lubrication and protection. It evaporates and leaves the surface more vulnerable, in my experience
    My favorite spray lube for hinges and pivots has been Liqui Moly Tacky Lube Spray. It sprays into a tight area with the red nozzle as a liquid, and gels into a grease once there. My garage door hinges are 70+ years old, and have a decal that says to lube the hinges every 30 days! This stuff is perfect for such a use, and stays put where it's sprayed. Quick shot does the job.
    This heat-resistant, adherent high-performance lubricant is resistant to acceleration forces and has a number of impressive properties. After the solvent has evaporated, the product leaves an extremely adherent and soft lubricating film. Good corrosion protection, resistant to hot and cold water. High performance only when used alone. The product has a long-term effect. Good penetration properties.

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied
    The old ones that you push on the bottom only work with the spout pointed down, not for oiling overhead.

Leave a comment:

• ballard770
    replied
    eBay has a bunch. Here’s a vintage pump can made in USA.

there's also a bunch of the old ones that you push on the bottom to pump the oil. My dad always had one in his garage - come to think of it I may have it hidden in my garage!

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    started a topic In Search of a good shop oil can Pint size

In Search of a good shop oil can Pint size

With the plethora of all kinds of spray can oil products at home centers and automotive shops, it seems like that should do. My 21 year old riding lawn tractors Craftsman LT1000 is going strong but getting under and lubing in hard to reach places isn't getting the job done with WD-40 and other spray can products. Seems like the spray cans don't hold half as much as they used to either. I am running out of spray too often now.

Anyway, I want to spray some OIL on some of the moving parts - cables, levers, moving pulleys that tighten the belts to put in mowing position) springs etc. WD-40 is not preventing rust or lubricating enough, IMO. I would like a good oil can with a long squirt spout to pin point where the oil goes. Even the WD40 6 inch nozzles don't quite pin-point enough as I have to contort my arms to do that.

I would like a good shop oil can with a wide base so it doesn't fall over at a whim and at least a pint and 10 to 12 inch spout.

Are there any good shop cans around? I am a little skeptical of the Chinese products - as much from being shipped FROM China and taking a week to 2 weeks to get here even on Prime. I do not like that time frame.

I went back and looked at Lorings post a year ago on his oil can in which the pump "froze" while covered with oil! Did you ever get it fixed?
Working...