Radial Arm Saw - Do you have and use one?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

CWS,

Loring's comments on the Radio Alarm saw was a reference to an RAS for sale a few years ago on eBay or Craigs List and listed as 10" Radio Alarm Saw, or something close to that size.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
      cwsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I do seem to recall that post. At first I didn't catch the humorous reference, and thought perhaps I might be violating some rule. Second read, I took notice of "Radio" , but thought I should ask the question out of respect .

Thanks!
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

A Craftsman RAS was one of my first woodworking tools, and I returned it within a couple of weeks. It used a round rod as the carriage guide and the rod was not machined. The carriage wobbled so it was impossible to get a decent cut. Decided it was not worth the effort to make it work right, so I returned it.

Later I bought a Ryobi RA2500 at a woodworking show, a great and very accurate saw, analogous perhaps to the BT3X's. I still have and use that saw.

Later acquired a Dewalt, I think it is an MBF, the one many people seem to like. It remains disassembled, a restoration project I may well never complete.

--------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cwsmith
      cwsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      I think your are referring to the two tracks that attach to the lower sides of the arm. On mine, they are machined and appear to be hardened and they sit into a groove cast into the outside edges of the arm. The carriage The carriage bearings ride along those tracks. On the left side, the two carriage bearings are on eccentric screws which adjust to remove any play that may occur. I've not had any problems with mine, but I can understand. If they're loose, the saw wobbles, it's impossible to use with any accuracy (and certainly not with any safe feeling).

I've heard good things about the Ryobi, but I've never seen one. I heard they used a universal motor with much higher speed (5,000 rpm) and while like the BT, gives a great cut, you had to watch how you fed it. I love my BT, so I would think the RA and I would get along well.

CWS

CWS

• woodturner
      woodturner commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, those two tracks are what I mean. On the saw I had, they were not machined but seemed to be some kind of pressed or extruded metal. They had imperfections and voids and were not straight. They attached only at the ends so no good way to straighten them either. Perhaps they were changed from a machined part to reduce cost or something.

Because the tracks were not straight and could not be made straight, there was no way to eliminate the "wobble" as the carriage was moved along the track. The wobble was something like .040", enough to cause burning in the cut.

I considered replacement them with drill rod and drilling and tapping additional holes so they could be adjusted straight, but decided it was not worth the effort.

• cwsmith
      cwsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      I totally agree with your final decision, some things just aren't worth the effort. I've looked at many of the newer renditions of the Craftsman RAS and I think I bought mine at just the right time. There are some things that could have been improved upon, and surely a few things I didn't like. But it has served me well over the decades.

CWS
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

When I was offered a job at Ingersoll-Rand in 1973, it was a year after the 72' Agnes flood. Flood recovery was still going on and our office was in one of the warehouse buildings at the east end of the complex. It had seen 22 ft of water and mud, and was still something of a mess. To use the men's room, I had to walk through the temporary shipping department on the other side of the building. One afternoon as I was making the trip, I see a brand new Craftsman RAS that had just arrived. Obviously it caught my attention and the next afternoon, a guy was cutting stock for one of the wooden shipping boxes, of which they makes dozens every week.

I stopped to watch, and there was this fellow pulling the carriage full forward, motor running, then he feeds the stock behind it and pushes the blade back through to make the cut. He never shuts off the motor, but clears the table, and then pulls the carriage forward again, motor still running and he grabs another piece of stock and pushes it behind the motor again and repeats the operation, and so on. At that point I walked down the aisle to find the foreman.

I knew the guy who was operating the saw, friendly fellow, that was handicapped because he had only one eye, and a nasty facial scar from an earlier accident, but of course you don't bother a person who is in the middle of a job like that.

Finding the shop foreman, I told him of my concern for how the RAS was being operated and pointed out the fact that with only 'one eye' and no depth perception, it looked like an accident waiting to happen. Well, did I ever get a backlash from that! Everything from "mind your own business" to a threat of having the Union "write me up". Long story, short, I went to our plant safety director and we got it resolved. The operator retired in the late 80's, thankfully with all of his fingers still intact.

I've had that kind of discussion multiple times over the years, and for me, it's hard to understand why so many people just use this saw wrong (and of course, that might start another discussion). A few years ago I bought a used (and abused) RAS. Same model as mine, but I wanted some parts for backup. I was told it was in really good condition and I told the fellow if he would deliver it, I'd give him $60. I'm glad I didn't drive down there (70 miles round trip). The saw was mess, rusty, pieces missing and then there was this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1947r.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	842199

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Joe Partridge
      Handtools only
      • Jan 2021

I'm a new member. I've had a Craftsman RAS since around 1974. Bought it brand new and have used it occasionally over the years. I use it mostly for cross-cutting and dados. Dust collection has always been an issue but I plan on building a better system soon.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Joe,

Welcome to the forum! Nice to see another RAS user here too. My RAS is a year older than yours, I purchased mine in the fall of 1973.

Over the years I've used mine for several projects, but mostly it sat while I was in the midst of other things. In the last 15 years I've probably shown a bit more appreciation for it; cleaning it up, making a better home for it, adding a simple dust collection box (helps quite a bit), and even making a decent working fence stop. I too only use mine as a cross-cut saw in these last several years.

If you'd like details on my simple dust exhaust box, let me know. It's basically a rear hood, with a shop vac plugged into the bottom of it. After a few experiments, I added a plastic 'curtain' which keeps the dust blown back from the blade, from bouncing back out onto the table. Not perfect, but it helps.

Again, welcome to the forum,

CWS

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1482r.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	842468 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1939r.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	842469 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1989r.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	842470
        Last edited by cwsmith; 01-27-2021, 08:44 PM.
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...