Which Tape Measure Do You Recommend, and from where?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Which Tape Measure Do You Recommend, and from where?

I am trying to get to my projects, and an extraordinary thing happened: I broke two tape measures!

One broke at the 1" mark, and disappeared inside the case (because, auto-retract), the other's springs completely unravelled ( and jammed in the works) and it does not extend or retract. I might be able to jerry-rig either to work temporarily, but I feel after 15 years, it's time I bought a couple new.

So what's your recommendation? I read this earlier discussion and realize I need the 'lefty' version of the tape, and maybe a flat-back one? Or is that not needed?

I know I could walk into Lowes and grab the first one on the aisle, but with an ownership of 15 years, a bit of introspection might be worth it.

And while you are at it, should I step away from Amazon and buy elsewhere, like Rockler or Lee-Valley? I am feeling queasy that I have forsaken those great institutions for the sake of a few dollars of shipping charge.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • Slik Geek
    • Dec 2006
    • Lake County, Illinois
    • Ryobi BT-3000

Not long ago I got a Performax auto locking tape measure. It is nicely built, with a nylon coating on the tape, which makes it non glare, and kinda slippery. I liked it a lot, until I noticed that the slippery tape is an issue for the locking device. It can't hold the tape still. The tape slowly creeps back into the case. It can be really annoying. Otherwise I would have recommended it. I also received a Craftsman sidewinder as a gift. I use it most of the time as my shop tape measure. It ends the problem of the tape measure falling over. Works pretty good and I've used it a lot. I have the 25' version, but frankly for shop use the 16' version is probably more appropriate.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I have two that I use more than others.
      1. For most projects, bookshelves, tables, etc, I use a center finder tape. I have been using these for about 25 years.
      https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...-finding-tapes
      https://www.amazon.com/ProTape-Cente.../dp/B0000CEZ8X
      The Amazon link is for the same tape but it does show the tape itself and how it is center finding. Very simple.

2. For most room measurements and general length measurements of long boards, I use the Komelon brand from Lowes and other places. The Komelon is very reasonably priced at Lowes and is tough too. I love this tape measure; it just operates so smoothly. I have had about 8 or 9 in the past 5 years and given one each to each daughter and son in laws; I keep one at work, one in my car, one in the house and 3 around my shop.
      https://www.lowes.com/pd/Komelon-Sel...easure/4177187

Besides the reasons stated for each, both have one other valuable feature: CenterPoint is Yellow; Komelon is a yellow-Green. BOTH are Very Visible. Red, Blue, Silver, Black, darker Green HIDE when you set them down, and when they are in the shadow of something. This is a very serious consideration for me. The color of both show up quickly when looking for them.
      Last edited by leehljp; 04-24-2020, 09:22 PM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have two tape measures, one says Craftsman and the other says (where the label fell off ) Millers Falls, 25 ft tape measures that look identical to the Stanley Power Lock 33-425 and they are both 40 years old and working fine with no problems. I am sure all three were made by the same people and OEM'd with private labels. I would buy another if I needed one. Nice and slim and for me, unbreakabe with normal use.

However, I have to say I have a handful of the Harbor Freight ones they give away for free with any purchase (with frequently available weekly coupons), rubberized and I have given lots to friends. So I can't really have any bad words to say about these, they also work well and so they are in all my cars, every toolbox and the kitchen and a backup in the shop. For the money they can't be beat and are reliable and sturdy. I take off the belt clip because it makes them a little too fat for me and that's all.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

My favorite is a Fastcap lefty/righty tape. It’s 12’ because rarely do I need a longer reading tape, if so I grab a longer and wider tape. The lefty righty feature allows the user to read it from either direction... without having to swivel your head like the exorcist girl! You can also write on the side of the case with a pencil.
          Capncarl

Comment

• Carlos
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Fastcap for sure! After using one for a while, and hating all my other tapes, I've replaced them all. Honestly I'm reaching for their mini tape most often, which I didn't expect. I bought a bunch, stuck magnets on them, and they sit all over both the wood and metal shop. My second most used is the lefty/righty as Carl recommended. And third is the easy half tape for measuring a halfway point fast and accurately. I also have their "old standard" tape and love that too.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I have 3 FastCap tapes but hardly use them. One metric, one lefty/righty and forgot the other. If I were making furniture type items on a regular basis, I probably would use them. But for general use, I use the ones mentioned above.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

I'm not familiar with "FastCap", just goes to show how little tool shopping I've done in the past few years.

My main 'go-to' tapes are Stanley 'LeverLock'. I have two each of the 16-ft and 12-ft (30-812 & 30-810). I prefer using the minimum-sized, generally grabbing the 12-ft for most of my work around the house or in the shop. Actually for smaller shop work, I prefer a straight-edged steel measure, especially for laying out flat work.

I have so many tape measures that it's ridiculous. A box or two of those HF give-a-ways (maybe 50 or so) that are too bulky for my normal use, I couple of Stanley reel-tapes (can't remember if they're 50- or 100-ft, another Stanley 25-ft (too bulky), and even a couple of watch-pocket sized tapes given out by whoever's. I keep an old 'Syracuse Blueprint' 'Hamilton' (the drafting table company) to stick in my jeans, for when I'm out shopping and want to measure something. It's the Stanley LeverLock's that get the most usage in the shop and house though.

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Carlos
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Fastcap makes a whole bunch of little shop helpers that you never knew you needed until you buy them. They put innovation and efficiency first.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

CWS, The fastcap tapes come in a variety of measuring types. One is a righty-lefty so you can see the numbers without having to read it upside down; They also make 3 sets in FLAT tapes. These "flat" tapes do not have the movable tabs on the end that most tapes have allow for inside or outside measuring. The "flat" tapes are for hooking the tabs on the outside edge of a board or plywood, they lay flat and give very accurate measurements. One thing I have noticed about most movable tabs is that they are not precise and can be 1/32 or so off. The Fastcap flat tapes are perfect for precise measurements. They come in inch, or metric or inch/metric combination. Rod Kirby really wanted a metric flat tape but Fastcap would not ship overseas or their shipping was way too high, so I got one and mailed it to him. He enjoyed that tape.

They also (or at least some) have the slide lock/release BOTH above the tape and below on the bottom. Very handy.
                    Last edited by leehljp; 04-26-2020, 07:04 PM.
                    Hank Lee

Comment

• cwsmith
                      cwsmith commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Lee,

I just looked at their website... impressive!

Funny that before this forum conversation I had never heard of them. As they say, "he doesn't get out much". I guess that's my story.

So thanks for your informative explanation,

CWS
                  • radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Does their flat-tape also come in lefty orientation (ie, from right to left)? I could not find that.
                    If not I'm thinking one flat tape and another lefty/righty.
                    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• Jim Frye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Maumee, OH, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I have a couple of Lufkin 25’ tapes. One is over 30 years old and the lock is pretty well worn out. The lock is a rocker style and doesn’t hold, so this one sits in the garage for outdoors work. The other Lufkin tape has apparently lost its temper, the hook is a bit worn also, and is difficult to use one handed. It just flops around when you get more than a few feet extended. A few years back, I bought a Stanley Fat Max 25’ tape. It’s a one inch wide tape and is quite stiff when extended. The lock is also very positive.
                      Jim Frye
                      The Nut in the Cellar.
                      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by radhak
                        Does their flat-tape also come in lefty orientation (ie, from right to left)? I could not find that.
                        If not I'm thinking one flat tape and another lefty/righty.
                        I don't think the flat one comes in righty lefty, only the 3 formats - 1. Inch/metric, 2. Inch with "storying" space for marking, 3. Inch
                        They also have a pencil sharpener in each.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Tapes.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	839324
                        Attached Files
                        Hank Lee

Comment

• Carlos
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

The story tape seems silly. I mark right on the regular tapes. Pencil and Sharpie work fine, both wipe off with alcohol.

Comment

Working...