• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

A New Shop Tool

We were grocery shopping this afternoon and spotted this on an end cap. It was in the hardware department, but I couldn't resist picking it up. I've always had Q-tips in the shop for small jobs that I didn''t want to dirty a brush with, but this seems to be a better solution. I have some GRIP tools in the shop like a set of hole saws and a Forstner bit set. The lady at the checkout register looked at the package with a quizzical expression and I told her they were for people with big ears. Sorry, bad pun, but I couldn't resist.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200120_184044.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.3 KB ID:	838385Click image for larger version  Name:	20200120_184106.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.0 KB ID:	838386
    Last edited by Jim Frye; 01-20-2020, 07:51 PM.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Hi Jim,

Not a bad idea. I too keep cotton swabs in the shop, use them for all kinds of things. I haven't seen anything beyond the normal 'Q-tip' size though. I do have a 4" roll of 12" wide cotton batting, which I rarely tear off a piece to wrap around the end of a small dowel to make my own big Q-tip. Good for cleaning out holes that are too large or deep for a normal Q-tip. The product you've found would be a lot easier.

The question of course is where to find them around here. Do you have a brand name? Your first picture was pretty blurry..

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Apologies. My cell phone camera is a bit tedious to use and I'm getting old with shaky hands. The brand name is GRIP (short for Grand Rapids Industrial Products). not sure how wide spread their distribution is. I honestly don't remember where I bought the hole saw set, nor the Frostner bit set. It may have been Harbor Freight or the neighborhood Ace Hardware.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I've bought a variety of sponge sticks and q-tip style tools from the makeup section in Walmart. Super useful for details and repairs, for example.

Comment

Working...