Hitachi Tools to be renamed under Metabo?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Hitachi Tools to be renamed under Metabo?

I just noticed on Amazon that there was a heading by one Hitachi item that showed Hitach->Metabo. Then I saw it again. I did a search and saw that at Lowes, Hitachi was becoming Metabo. Further searches found that Hitachi bought out Metabo 100% back around 2016. (Actually Hitachi bought the holding company which owned 80% and bought the remaining 20% from the original owners.

And it looks like Hitach is letting their tools be renamed as Metabo.

As an aside, I enjoyed the Makita brands and always thought of them as the highest quality of Japanese tools, but in discussions with the Japanese master carpenters/skilled woodworkers that I knew, they all said Hitachi was the top brand to Japanese workers.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I've noticed that changing a lot also in the last few months. I've always considered Hitachi and Makita to be low end brands, so I guess they are trying to build a new image?

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have to say I have two well made tools from Hitachi (standing 15" drill press and 12" CMS) but I am totally unfamiliar with Metabo.

I would have said Hitachi is the better known name.

So I guess that's an interesting new development.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
        And it looks like Hitach is letting their tools be renamed as Metabo.

As an aside, I enjoyed the Makita brands and always thought of them as the highest quality of Japanese tools, but in discussions with the Japanese master carpenters/skilled woodworkers that I knew, they all said Hitachi was the top brand to Japanese workers.
        In the US both Hitachi and Makita are known as top brands, though they don't seem to be as popular or widely used as they once were. In the 1980's Hitachi and Makita offered machine tools that were unmatched at the price by other brands. Portable tools were considered a step above Porter Cable and Bosch.

Metabo is a lesser known but high quality brand known for specific niche tools.

Not sure what brought the merger but should result in continued high quality tools.

--------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Gbotha
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2017

Many years ago in South Africa Metabo was the top of the line. Slogan "Men use Metabo". I had an under/over jointer/thickness planer combo, that was the best. Jointer on top of blades, 10", beds flip over to allow thicknessing under the blades. 2 tools in one. Never seen that in USA as a benchtop tool.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Gbotha
            Many years ago in South Africa Metabo was the top of the line. Slogan "Men use Metabo". I had an under/over jointer/thickness planer combo, that was the best. Jointer on top of blades, 10", beds flip over to allow thicknessing under the blades. 2 tools in one. Never seen that in USA as a benchtop tool.
            Strange that you mention the over/under Metabo thickness planer/jointer. When I was in Japan in Osaka, I almost purchased a Hitachi Over/Under Jointer-Thickness Planer. You are right, never saw that type in the USA. Quality all the way through. I lived in the Osaka area from '92-'04. Osaka had a "tool district" which was something like a very large "Tool Mall" of stores. Lots of tool there that were not available in the USA. That makes me wonder if Hitachi and Metabo had a relationship way back in the mid to late '90s.

I have an in Japan purchased Hitachi circular saw (180-185mm) 7" - 7 1/4" - that I brought back along with several saw blades that fit it. That saw cost the equivalent of about $350 back in 2005-2006. It has a hand hold feel that is solid, the motor is smooth, cutting is smooth, solid non-twist/distortion foot plate. I don't use it except when doing finishing cuts on a board of something I am building. I am under-using it - as it is much tougher than my USA Dewalt and Makita circular saws. But I just don't want to wear it out.

This is getting off of the subject of Hitachi-Metabo - But, back in the early '90s (90-91) I went on a church build with some volunteers from the US. There was a Ryobi BT3000 there that was being used, and also a Makita table saw. The Makita Table Saw was almost identical to the BT3000. I used to have a Japanese brochure on that Makita saw but lost it long ago. The Makita, while looking almost identical to the Ryobi was somewhat heavier even though it was made of aluminum also. I never saw one in a store but did see several Ryobi BT3000s in the stores, but they were always the whole system of wide tables and dust collection that cost nearly $2000.

Yes, there are tools available overseas that we never see in the USA.
            Last edited by leehljp; 12-29-2019, 10:07 AM.
            Hank Lee

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
              You are right, never saw that type in the USA.
              I recall an Inca that I think was that style, probably mid-1980's. I vaguely remember a couple of other import brands offered something similar, and I think Woodmaster had something like that. I don't recall the Hitachi or Makita being available in the US.

--------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by woodturner

I recall an Inca that I think was that style, probably mid-1980's. I vaguely remember a couple of other import brands offered something similar, and I think Woodmaster had something like that. I don't recall the Hitachi or Makita being available in the US.
                Now that you mention it, it seems like I had seen one in advertisements in woodworking magazines some time ago.
                Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

A few years ago our welding supply co started selling Metabo side grinders. I had to have one so I bought a 5” angle grinder. It cost significantly more than the competitors. I’ve used and abused it hard, it’s the best grinder I’ve ever used. Soft start, variable speed and some kind of control that maintains its speed regardless how hard you work it! I’ve never notice it getting hot, while I have melted down several 5” Dewalt angle grinders. I would put this tool at the top of the heap, definitely not cheap tools.

Comment

• Gdubyah
                    Gdubyah commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Metabo and hitachi have been top quality for years .....being in the cabinet trade as well as finish carpentry for thirty plus years....hitachi is the best compound saw on the market in my opinion
                Working...