• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Digital calipers, and battery use...

I currently own 2 digital calipers, Both are 6" calipers. The first is a Neiko 6" from Amazon, and the second is a Harbor Freight 6" Digital caliper.

Something I found out sadly is that both of these things seem to go through batteries like crazy. My solution has been to, instead of just turning it off and putting it back into the case, I take the extra step of removing the battery and stowing hte battery in the little pocket in the case.

I just find it a nuisance to have to replace the batteries every month or two, using this method I have been getting an average of 6 months life out of the batteries. Still seems a bit excessive, but at least I don't constantly wonder if the caliper will power on when I need it...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I do the same as I recall reading a few comments about this a couple of years ago. IIRC, I thought it was Loring who offered the idea, but I could be wrong.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I'm in the same boat. Every time I took the calipers out of the drawer the battery was dead. I now also take out the batteries and keep a supply of them on hand in the shop ... because I often forget.
      Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

It’s not just digital calipers that constantly use up the batteries. Somewhere on this site someone explained that the device was always on, the switch only turned off the display. I have several other digital devices, a Wixley angle box, another angle device, my favorite is the Craftsman digital miter gauge.... even the digital depth gauge on my Dewalt planer eats batteries unless they are removed from the device. I’m not sure if the same problem isn’t true with the digital thermometer and digital multimeters.

Comment

• Condoman44
          Established Member
          • Nov 2013
          • CT near Norwich
          • Ryobi BT3000

I agree. In fact between my tools that use button batteries and the watches my LOML uses I have a supply of many sizes. Some time ago I found a battery cross reference guide from Mallory. I adapted it to a Word document that I share here. I keep my inventory of batteries and use it as a reference when needed.

BatteryCrossRefChart.doc

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I have several cards of button batteries, I thought I had all the bases covered and could replace about any button battery..... until last week. Now I need to find another weird size. How many different sizes are there?

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I posted some years back that I tested HF calipers with a precision microammeter.
              I was not too surprised to find the current draw when off is the same as when on.
              The only difference is the LCD current usage which is usually quite small and made no difference.

I am pretty sure that most all of those digiatal calipers work the same way. Basically the unit measures and keep track of position all the time.
              The reason whey they keep the power on while off is to maintain the zero - you will find if you move it while off they still indicate proper zero. Otherwise you would have to rezero the unit each time.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                I currently own 2 digital calipers, Both are 6" calipers. The first is a Neiko 6" from Amazon, and the second is a Harbor Freight 6" Digital caliper.

Something I found out sadly is that both of these things seem to go through batteries like crazy. My solution has been to, instead of just turning it off and putting it back into the case, I take the extra step of removing the battery and stowing hte battery in the little pocket in the case.

I just find it a nuisance to have to replace the batteries every month or two, using this method I have been getting an average of 6 months life out of the batteries. Still seems a bit excessive, but at least I don't constantly wonder if the caliper will power on when I need it...
                Might just be. I probably missed it.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...