X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • candy
    Handtools only
    • May 2019

Father's day: Tool gift ideas

Need something newly invented for the man who has everything and loves tools. Thanks for any pointers.
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

My go-to, for unique but solidly built tools of value, is http://www.leevalley.com

They have a wide variety of stuff.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Everyone that I tell about my battery powered screwdriver just pho-pho’s it off until they actually use one. Mine is just a cheap B&D, I think $12-14. It runs forever and has enough power it will almost twist your wrist. I like it for mechanical and woodwork disassembly and lighter work than the impact driver.

Comment

• candy
        Handtools only
        • May 2019

Thank you for your advices

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Not sure what your husband has or doesn't have, or the price range either. Does he have a set type of cordless (lithium battery) tools - such as either DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Ryobi, Bosch, other? Usually people start with a brand and stay in the brand except for a specialty tool on occasion. By staying with a single brand and battery, one can have 3 or 4 or more batteries to share across 6 to 10 tools or more.

For instance, I have (7) 4ampHour Ryobi Batteries. I have
          1) Drill Driver (Drilling),
          1) Impact Driver (Screws) (and there is a HUGE difference between a drill and impact driver in how well they work),
          1) 7 1/4 inch saw,
          2) high output lights,
          1) 16 gage cordless nailer
          1) 18 gauge cordless stapler
          1) jig saw
          1) Recip Saw
          1) Grinder
          1) Corner Sander

11 tools, 7 batteries, 3 chargers

One does not have to buy a battery or two with every tool, or a charger with every one. There are still 3 or 4 tools that I might add in the future without having to buy any more batteries. The batteries are often more expensive than the tools. So there is a savings by staying within an "ecosystem" and just adding on a tool without having to buy more batteries.

The 4 most used tools and helpful tools for me are these: Impact Driver, Drill Driver, 16 gage cordless nailer, 18 gage Cordless stapler. These last two are much more expensive but they are very good at what they do. For some people though they could use lesser powered nailers and some people prefer more powerful nailers. That is a personal choice. I have had my nailers for 3+ years and they are far more powerful and tough than the original reviews thought. Today, the same nailers are getting some great reviews after people have tried and used them. My next most used tools: I also love my Ryobi 18V lights, very BRIGHT. They go with me in my car and I take them in the house. They are helpful for looking under beds, sofas, in dark areas of the closet, in the attic, out on the road and they have a long range too.

Ryobi does well enough for me, but some people need and use a heavier duty line of tools. Ryobi is a good middle of the road line that does well for home use; Milwaukee, DeWalt, Bosch and Makita are the toughest for heavy duty use and the cost reflects it. Ridgid (Home Depot) and Ryobi are tough but a step down. Lowes has their own brand and they also sell Craftsman tools (Sears).

If you have any questions on any of these, please ask.
          Last edited by leehljp; 06-06-2019, 05:13 PM.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Slik Geek
            • Dec 2006
            • Lake County, Illinois
            • Ryobi BT-3000

If you need a little something more, this little tool was a gift from my wife. I never would have bought it. But I love it. It beats a hammer and nail set 90% of the time. (Beats as in better results)
            Spring Tools 32R02-1 Nail Set and Counter Punch (online at various suppliers) Under $11

I also love these if your recipient builds boxes or cabinets out of plywood or 3/4" thick material. Great for squaring things up and holding panels in place so you can concentrate on the other things you are trying to do. Faster and easier than other corner clamps:
            Clamp-it clips, 3/4" GRP40609 (Rockler) Under $10

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011
              • a thousand or so feet above insanity
              • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Candy - depends

Is he traditional ----- doing everything by hand? Lee Valley and LIe Nielsen would be the way to go.
              These two companies sell heirloom quality tools. Look up Veritas - Veritas Hand Cut Dovetail Kit

Garrett wade
              is another decent source. Check out the Odd Jobs Tool.

ON the other hand ---- is he technical ------ loves gadgets?

I recommend Woodpeckers.
              The Woodpeckers company specializes in limited edition tools. The typical wait is 3-4 months ---
              but you get something really cool.

Woodpeckers is currently offering the Saw gauge 2.0 ---- it's a really cool and handy tool.
              Another great tool is the PAOLINI POCKET Rule.

Finally ------ if you like spending money ------- anything that says Festool. Hold your breath if you haven't seen their prices.

Last edited by durango dude; 06-11-2019, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Lee Valley: Sliding squares
                http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...98&cat=1,42936
                A. Veritas® Sliding Square, Imperial
                05N32.01
                $39.50

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...