• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Goliath CNC router looks interesting

Has anyone see this item? Goliath CNC router.

EDIT
    Sorry, It was a scam post
    Goliath CNC was not associated with that ad and the price was ridiculously low
    Goliath was a Kickstarter but apprently has missed all its shipping dates.

CNC Router
    uses two location tower references to offset any wheel slippage, programmed by Wifi and can work on a flat surface of seemingly unlimited dimensions.
    The only drawback I see is that if you carve up too much surface, the wheels won't be on a flat plane anymore. It says it will compensate for that somehow...
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-02-2018, 02:27 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Same thing happened to me last night with a CNC laser burner/cutter, advertised for $29.99. I couldn't believe it so I did more research, it was also a kickstarter but for like $800.

Mine came from a FB ad. Very strange.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I went through this a couple of years ago when I had in mind to buy a 3D printer. Quite a few very intriguing videos from "kickstarter" groups and with them lots of pre-orders. Videos from trade shows to new space to very professionally done commercials and production samples.... and along with those lots of monthly updates as they supposedly were getting closer to production releases.

Now more than two years later, absolutely nothing from those companies! It was disappointing and left me wondering what the heck happened. Just seemed too much "marketing" for them not to have ever come to market.

This CNC router does look intriguing, and I'd like to see it available for those interested. For myself, I'm just too old fashioned (perhaps too old, period). Would be great for a small production operation for sure, but for someone like me, I just enjoy doing all that work myself.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Not everyone with a good idea can bring it to market. You either need to have a good background around doing it or have a team of experienced people that know the steps involved.
        It helps to have contacts in many fields as well. Kick Starter is a really cool venue, however there are no safeguards for the investors should the product fail or just be someone's pipe dream.
        The products really need to be more than just a prototype before I might spend some cash. Some companies already have good and bad track records for campaigns, so a little research will help too.
        As for the crazy low sale prices, be very careful.
        It is like fishing scams and once they have your CC info, they can clean you out.

Lee

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • BT3100

I preordered (and now own) the Shaper Origin. When they announced the Goliath kickstarter, that made some buzz, as people were saying "this appears to be better than the Shaper". I don't see that to be the case, though. The Goliath is built to work well with sheet goods... something I rarely need with woodworking. The Shaper is already more tricky to use on hardwood pieces vs sheet goods, but it's doable. For example my last project I engraved a clock face in a 8x8-ish maple board. Even with sheet goods, it seems like the goliath would have serious accuracy issues, if it slipped *at all*. The Shaper is dead on accurate.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by tfischer
            I preordered (and now own) the Shaper Origin. When they announced the Goliath kickstarter, that made some buzz, as people were saying "this appears to be better than the Shaper". I don't see that to be the case, though. The Goliath is built to work well with sheet goods... something I rarely need with woodworking. The Shaper is already more tricky to use on hardwood pieces vs sheet goods, but it's doable. For example my last project I engraved a clock face in a 8x8-ish maple board. Even with sheet goods, it seems like the goliath would have serious accuracy issues, if it slipped *at all*. The Shaper is dead on accurate.
            Doesn't rely on wheel position or distance, the unit has two reference towers fixed tot he sheet from which it electronically triangulates its position to within a claimed .004" Slippage would not affect the location accuracy.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

I have been considering making something similar but different. It would be a sheet mounted gantry that moved on a wooden or angle iron track that you attach to the sheet via clamps, double sided tape or screws. The router would traverse across the gantry for Y axis movement. The gantry itself would crawl on the temporary frame. Z of course would move the router up and down. It could be made expandable and the tracks could mount on a workbench. Then you would not be limited to sheet goods. I am still rolling it around in my head. I do want to produce new products, so this is one candidate.
              Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

People posting scam ads like that depend on a bit of greed in us.
                Usually its for a clever idea or product (stolen from someone else)
                And its for a price that way too good to be true.
                And you want to bite fast because the price is special, only good for a day or so.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • BT3100

I went back to that laser cube ad that I mentioned above, and the whole website was gone.

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN

Doesn't rely on wheel position or distance, the unit has two reference towers fixed tot he sheet from which it electronically triangulates its position to within a claimed .004" Slippage would not affect the location accuracy.
                    Ah I didn't realize that. That's an interesting setup that could be used by a handheld system like the Shaper too. The tape you need to use is a little bit annoying for Shaper... not so much the expense (as there are ways to conserve it and it isn't THAT expensive) but mostly because it all has to be on the same plane, so you can't just cover your workbench with it and then do carving on a piece sitting on it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by tfischer

Ah I didn't realize that. That's an interesting setup that could be used by a handheld system like the Shaper too. The tape you need to use is a little bit annoying for Shaper... not so much the expense (as there are ways to conserve it and it isn't THAT expensive) but mostly because it all has to be on the same plane, so you can't just cover your workbench with it and then do carving on a piece sitting on it.
                      Yeah I had to read about it.
                      According to the makers, it has the wide wheels so it can work on a somewhat carved up surface. First they carve all the grooves. Then they come back and carve the pockets, starting with the bit to one side of the workpiece so it can work all the way to the edge. Then it backs away, cutting more pockets behind it so the wheels never sit on pockets. Finally as it gets "painted into a corner" as I would say, they use extensions of the same height so that the robot can move entirely off the pieces uninterrupted. It can rotate X-Y axes so it can cut facing any of the four directions if it needs to.

Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• tfischer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • BT3100

Seems like it could be a cool product, depending on your needs. Always good to have options. One downside of the Shaper is you do have to hold the tool the whole time it carves but for the projects I work on that's an ok tradeoff. As a hobbyist it makes me more at one with the project anyway lol.

Shaper has had excellent support since its release, with a number of internal software upgrades adding new features and improvements. I really haven't used it as much as I've liked over the past 10 or so months I've owned it.

As an aside, Shaper is once again taking orders, although the price is now a full $1K higher than I paid.

Comment

Working...