• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Drill Press quill stop

I'm feeling pretty good about this mod I just made to my Drill press.

A few years back several people found a deal through here and Lowes for Hitachi B16RM 15" floor drill press. http://www.sawdustzone.org/showthrea...hlight=Hitachi

I liked the drill press almost 100% except I never liked the quill stop. I always liked the one mounted in the hub of my old delta but that drill press was too small.

The Hitachi had a vertical threaded "D" rod (The D describes a flat on one side) that had a couple of thumb nuts and a washer... the two nuts are so that you could lock them and the washer had a matching antirotation flat so that you could tighten the top not without rotating the bottom nut. The problem was that a 3"+ quill stroke always left the nuts as far as possible from the desired stop position and even though it had a coarse 2mm thread it took a lot of spins to move the nut and then the other. The washer with its flat tended to catch and not slide down so that slowed it more.
    Here's the OEM arrangement: (as usual, click on the photos for a bigger version)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	WP_20151222_003sm.jpg Views:	1539 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	800997

I saw this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT5SrJO4TgM
    It details how a man used some off-the shelf Quill stops - yes a jig made for that purpose - to replace a similar rod on his drill press, In it he explained that Bridgeport tools standardized a 1/2-20 threaded rod for this purpose on their big machine tools and a big enough market had provided some inexpensive sprung, split threaded clamps. In it he explained how to modify the clamps by rethreading them

In my case the existing rod was 16mm 2-mm pitch and no easy way to rethread the stop or the rod. I'd have to get a 14mm tap drill and special 16-2 metric tap. And it might be close to breaking out being more than 5/8". Besides it would only give me 2mm (.080") stops as the quill stops won't rotate too much.
    So instead I bought 3 feet of rod (needed just 6 inches). The end of the old stepped rod was a bit more than 3/8" (9mm) but that's too large to drill into the end as I was going to put a bolt in it. So I drilled and tapped for 1/4-20 and used a 14/ x 3/8" plastic sleeve to fill the gap. Old and new rods:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	WP_20151222_004sm.jpg Views:	839 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	800998

Installed: ( and you can see how the split clamp opens wide enough to go around the rod rather than having to be threaded on.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	WP_20151222_005sm.jpg Views:	754 Size:	65.8 KB ID:	800999 Click image for larger version  Name:	WP_20151222_006sm.jpg Views:	780 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	801000

and from a little farther back
    Click image for larger version  Name:	WP_20151222_007sm.jpg Views:	790 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	801001

I can put one quill stop on the top instantly anywhere and one on the bottom if need be to limit up travel. Works so great I can cry.
    I am limited a bit by 20 threads per inch giving .050" stop resolution but it is solid. I can rotate the stops some to get a bit more vertical resolution if need be. I "lost" the scale on the rod but it was never much use, so no real loss. The black stop block is a cast piece of solid steel, not stamped like on some recent drill presses that give many tens of thou of slop if you push on it.

I think the rod cost me 10 bucks shipped thru amazon and the two quill stops were from ebay for $20 incl shipping. Total almost 1/3 the cost of the Drill press but worth it!
    Got 2.5 feet of rod left if anyone needs any. Its the fine thread 1/2-20 UNF, not the usual 1/2-8 UNC I think.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-12-2022, 01:40 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here's the hub style stop from my old Delta DP:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151223_001sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	787516
    The little thumb lock allows rotating the hub stop when the quill is in the desired position. Very fast and you can do it with one hand.

With Either stop its easy to set the position - just put in the desired position and apply the stop.
    If I want to drill deeply but not break out, I use a piece of measurement bar like you can get for setting up routers etc and put it between the drill point and the drill press table and lock the stop.
    To drill the pretttiest holes, I lower a brad point until the point is poking into my drill table just a little and lock the stop. I drill the piece and flip it over and see a tiny hole from the brad point and place the point of the drill bit on the tiny hole and enter the wood with the brad point outer flutes cutting the wood rather than breaking out fibers when it breaks thru.Get perfectly aligned top and bottom entry holes this way with no breakout.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I like that idea and haven't seen this type of stop before. Thanks for posting the picts. I looked an eBay and will purchase one there.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

This ebay search will work - lots of results:
        Get the best deals for quill stop bridgeport at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Look for the ones that say bridgeport milling machine
        the prices range from 5 bucks to 35 bucks for what looks like the same thing so chose carefully.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-23-2015, 09:58 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Pretty good idea, and very nice work on your part.

I have a Ridgid 15" drill press which uses the hub-style stop. While I like that, many people prefer a rod stop. Your post is very helpful.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas,

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

One more improvement

Name:	WP_20151230_001sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	787522
            I put a ruler on the drill press housing such that zero was at the top of the stop block.
            The underside of the quill stop indicates on the ruler to the side as shown.
            The quantity it shows is the distance to the bottom of bit travel.
            When at the stop, consider that it shows zero distance remaining.
            So, as you can see in the pic, I have 3.25" quill travel to the bottom of the hole.

This is actually more helpful than the scale attached the original stop rod (see first photo in first post of this thread).
            In that arrangement the Scale read at the stop block (zero, in the picture shown), a measurement I can only justify as the depth the quill has moved. The actual depth value would be the value read less the resting distance from the bit to the top of the workpiece.

The ruler - a HF 6" stainless steel pocket rule cut to length and glued in place. $2 less a 20% discount plus a free 25 ft tape measure.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I am still using this frequently and its the best tool mod I've ever made.
              I do drill press hole depth control much more often now that its so easy.

Still have 30 inches of 1/2-20 UNF threaded rod if anyone needs some.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-03-2016, 01:57 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

I have the ryobi 12" DP which has a hub style spot. It is convenient but I find it doesn't stay put very well unless I really crank it down. Not sure if I could adapt it to use this rod style. If anybody has ever modded the Ryobi to improve it I would love to hear what you did.
                Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

There are quite a few 1/2-20 Bridgeport-style quill stops available on both eBay and Amazon, most for around $10.

Name:	quill stops.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	848294
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Wow, this thread is such a zombie it is looking for brains to eat....

I'll play though.

My Northern Industrial DP has the hub style and it works, but I frequently just ignore it and use depth stops directly on the bit if I have one to fit.

The problem is that I learned to use a drill press on an old military surplus I am pretty sure since it was painted with the same paint as battleships, Rockwell from WW2 era. There was no depth stop on it, I mean there was a place for one to be installed but it was missing...
                    Last edited by dbhost; 02-10-2022, 04:28 PM.
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...