• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

R/L Bandsaw fence for 14 inch?

Do any of you know of a good aftermarket bandsaw fence for a 14 inch that will work on both sides of the blade?

I bought a Grizzly fence for my Grizzly BS and it does not work on the outside of the blade (to the right). I need a fence that works on both sides of the blade.

On a few occasions, I have needed rip some fairly thick boards at a 45°. But with most BS fences, the adjustment knobs are on the left side and the fence face is on the right side. Tilt the BS table to 45° and you can't use the fence. I would like to use the fence on the right side of the table when it is tilted to 45°, which would make a good cradle of sorts for cutting the edges off of a roughly 4 to 6 in square post. OR is this a no-no? I can't see why it would be.

Soooo, I need a fence that can be used on both sides of the blade.

Anyone know of a fence at a decent price that works this way on a 14 inch BS?

Thanks.
    Last edited by leehljp; 11-10-2015, 03:02 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Hank why not go for a Carter Magfence?

Click image for larger version

Name:	189262d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	787491
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I don't have a large bandsaw, so can't really offer an experienced opinion. But, have you just tried to use a straight piece of stock clamped to the table? (Like making your own clampable fence out of ply).

I only have a little 9" Ryobi, but had once misplaced my fence and I used a piece of stock to do exactly what you wish.... cutting stock with the table at an angle, and my fence to the right of the blade, on the low side of the table. It worked very well and I was able to make the fence actually longer than the table itself.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Hank,
        I use and like the Kreg Bandsaw fence: http://www.woodcraft.com/product/146...g-kms7200.aspx

It can be used on either side by moving the fence extrusion from one side to the other. Here's the manual, explained on page 10 of the file: https://www.kregtool.com/webres/File...nce-Manual.pdf

I also use the microadjuster: http://www.woodcraft.com/product/146...oadjuster.aspx
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Jon,
          That Carter fence does look good. While I know that magnetic clamping is very good on the TS and BS, and I would not worry about it moving in normal use, but I would be concerned about it moving when I bumped it repeatedly. Still, to me, it is hard to go wrong with anything Carter though!

CWS,
          10 to 15 years ago, I probably would have done just that. But in my aging mind (and body), I need something I can trust to be straight and square without having to fool with it that much after the first time of setting it up.

Bill,
          Thanks for the PDF on the Kreg. I was looking at pictures and it did "seem" from observation that the fence extrusion could be changed to the other side, but I was not sure. This looks like the one I will get. I did find one other fence, Peachtree Woodworking - that had a rather large extrusion and looked like it could be used without having to change anything. But it was around $160.00.

Thanks fellows for your input! It is appreciated.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
            Jon,
            That Carter fence does look good. While I know that magnetic clamping is very good on the TS and BS, and I would not worry about it moving in normal use, but I would be concerned about it moving when I bumped it repeatedly. Still, to me, it is hard to go wrong with anything Carter though!
            Yup, the Carter website has all sorts of goodies. Those magnets are pretty darn strong I think you would need to bang pretty hard to move it. I like the fact the fence has the T slots making it real easy to add a high or sacrificial fence front. The fence on my PM 14 is pretty good but I have though of changing to this product a few times, just never had the justification to do so. Yet :-)
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

Working...