X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Kreg Beaded Face Frame Jig

I picked up the Kreg Beaded face frame system a while back but haven't gotten around to using it till now. I'll be building a set of kitchen cabinets soon and I wanted to test it out on some scrap poplar. I know there are much less expensive ways to get beaded face frames but the price was right and I couldn't resist trying it out. Overall the jig was great. It was easy to setup and easy to use. It comes with a 1/4" x 1-1/2" notching bit and a 1/4" bead bit. It comes with both a DVD and manual. I'm lazy so I just looked at the DVD for instructions but the manual does have more examples than the one shown on the DVD. You do an initial calibration with the jig using the included alignment pin and after that move the stop to the necessary position, clamp the piece down and run it through the notching bit. After all the rails and stiles are notched you run them through the bead bit. Because the pieces were notched, the ends of the beads are at 45 degrees and when the rails and stiles are mated, the beads form a 90 degree corner. They suggest using pocket holes to join the rails and stiles together which is what I did in my example. Although in the future I think I will add loose tenons first to help with alignment. I had a couple of pieces shift when I attached the pocket hole screws and so they are slightly proud.

One thing I wish they would have thought of was somehow being able to use a backer board. Maybe make consumable pieces that go on the jig itself. You can put your own backer board but it doesn't allow the stop guide to fold down completely. I made it work because the stop came down enough to make contact the board but it wasn't ideal.

Another benefit of the backer board is once you made the initial pass you can draw lines on the edge where the bit makes contact and use that as refrence.

End result. The little divots are from the pc pocket hole machine. Poplar dents quite easily.

Sample with door.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Something I have wondered on this thing; does it only bead the inside of the face frames?
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Yes only the inside. I'm not even sure how you would bead the outside short of making the bead separately.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I keep telling my wife that the only cabinet shops have the very large and expensive tools for building rail and style type doors because I don't want to go through all the work to make them! She believes me thank goodness.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Out of curiosity, did you look at the Sommerfeld beaded face frame system? It looks like the Kreg system may be a better solution even though it is a bit more expensive.
          Chr's

Comment

• jussi
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007

I've seen the Sommerfield set up the woodworking show A few years back. It looked interesting I hadn't really thought about a direct comparison so I'm not sure which one is better. In fact the only reason I got this was because I found it on craigslist for a decent price. Otherwise I probably would have gone the traditional route and made the beading separately.

Comment

Working...