Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

vaking,

I understand.

Years ago I used to just mark a line and go at it with my trusty 7" Craftsman (got that in 1968). It was the way my Dad and my grandfather always did it. In 1973, I bought my first big power tool a Craftsman 10" RAS. Still did my sheet ripping with the circular saw, following a line, and then final rips on the RAS. But in 2003, I started reading about using a 'factory edge' and I thought that worked pretty well. A lot better than walking along at a rather awkward position trying to follow that pencil line, and a lot faster too. I keep an 8-inch wide piece of S2S ply marked just for that purpose. With a couple of folding saw horses and a split bench top I made from some maple flooring I found, I've been quite happy with dealing with the few piece of sheet goods that get challenged with. (I have both the RAS and CMS to deal with cross-cutting long board stock, and a BT3100 for precision ripping.)

For me, sheet stock is clumsy to handle and I've never had the benefit of help from anyone. I do this kind of thing either in the driveway or in the garage, so there dust isn't a problem. But just the size and the weight is awkward and I try to avoid using such stock as much as possible. All of the 'wide' uses, like the library window seats and some benches and tables I've made, I do so with edge-jointed board stock.

BUT while I think old ways sometimes work best (for me), I like to keep my eyes open for better ways. I can see a track saw perhaps, somewhere in the future.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

For DYI projects I would go with a track saw. It's much easier and safer to use. You can always upgrade to a jobsite tablesaw in the future as need arises or when you have time to teach him to use it safely.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Carpenter96
        Established Member
        • Aug 2011
        • Barrie ON Canada
        • BT 3000

I like the idea of the track saw but I have built entire sets of finished kitchen cabinets with a circular saw and a straight edge, so I can't justify the cost of the track saw. My straight edge consists of a factory edge piece of 1/2" ply wood glued onto a piece of hardboard wider than the distance from edge of the base to the edge of the blade and then a cut is made. I write on the straight edge, the blade and saw used for that straight edge as I have more than one circular saw. Now all I have to do is mark where the edge of the cut will be and clamp the straight edge down right on the mark, perfect every time. I put the extra money into good blades for the circular saw.

Regards Bob

Comment

• Eric
          • Jun 2003
          • Cocolalla, ID
          • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

Originally posted by Carpenter96
          I put the extra money into good blades for the circular saw.
          That's a lot of saw blades!

Comment

Working...